REACH Developer Apprentice - Short Term Employee (6 months)
Searching for your dream job? At LinkedIn, we strive to help our employees find passion and purpose. Join us in changing the way the world works.
REACH is a pilot program from LinkedIn s Engineering team for those with the passion and potential to either develop or restart their career in software engineering. We ve created this opportunity as we fundamentally believe our top talent can come from anywhere, regardless of training or background.
Through this program, participants will be placed on one of our functional engineering teams, learn from our managers, and develop applications at scale. Apprentices will gain insight to what it s like to work as a software engineer at LinkedIn and gain experience that will be leveraged for a future career in software engineering. At the end of the program, successful apprentices have the potential to be offered a full time software engineering role. This position is a short-term employee role of 6 months based out of our Sunnyvale office. The program starts in April 2017.
LinkedIn s vision is to create economic opportunity for every member of the global workforce. This program is designed for candidates who have non-traditional career paths and we strongly encourage those candidates to apply. This would include candidates without Computer Science degrees who are self-taught, are re-entering the workforce, starting second careers, veterans, or who have attended boot camp style programming courses.
To learn more about the program and the application timeline, please visit: careers.linkedin.com/reach General Responsibilities
- Produce high quality software that is unit tested, code reviewed, and checked in regularly for continuous integration
- Scale distributed applications, make architectural trade-offs applying synchronous and asynchronous design patterns, write code, and deliver with speediness and quality
- Develop multi-tier scalable, high-volume performing, and reliable user-centric applications that operate 24x7
- Contribute a unique perspective and creative approach to solving problems at LinkedIn
- Learn and develop your skills as a software engineer
- Demonstrated history of independent coding related projects
- Demonstrated a compelling desire to have a career in software engineering and strong passion for coding
- Ability to clearly articulate your perspective
- Demonstrated potential for coding capability
- Entrepreneurial mindset to bring in a new and unique perspective to the team
- The desire to learn and develop your skills in the computer science field
To successfully apply to this role, you will be asked to complete the following three questions in the application. This will help us to better understand you and your passion for coding!
- Your Personal Story At LinkedIn, we strive for a culture that embraces and represents diverse ways of thinking, background, and approaches to solving the world s problems. Tell us about yourself, and what unique point of view, experiences, and background you bring to LinkedIn.
- Your Journey into Programming Tell us about your journey into programming, why you chose to go into it, and how you have or are attempting to transform yourself into a programmer.
- Your Coding "Awesomeness Every engineer at LinkedIn writes code. Part of our evaluation process for this program is to understand your level of coding. Show us something you re proud of. Share a link to code you ve written, point us to a website or product you ve built, show us an open source project you ve contributed to, or tell us about your favorite problem that you solved, etc. Tell us why you re proud of the code and what you enjoyed most about writing it. Really, just show off.
PLEASE NOTE: We recommend you draft your answers to the following questions prior to submission. You will not be able to save or draft your responses in our Jobvite application platform. Any media you d like to include needs to link out with an URL (youtube, github, vimeo, etc).