Bayshore Medical Center - Pasadena, TX Recreational Therapist
Nestled in the heart of the historic land where Texas won its independence, Bayshore Medical Center
offers comfort, convenience, excellence and expertise to our neighbors who trust their health care to us.
For nearly 50 years, we have offered patients solace and security through constant, compassionate communication during their medical emergencies, surgeries, and diagnostic procedures. As a 345-bed facility, we employ 1,500 staff and 250 physicians.Bayshore Medical Center
is currently looking for a Recreational Therapist. Responsibilities:
- As part of an interdisciplinary treatment team, the Activity Therapist designs and implements a variety of activity therapies focusing on individualized needs with the specific objective of fostering effective interactions, enhance coping skills, cognitive functioning, reality orientation and prioritizing independence in caring for self.
- Works collaboratively with hospital staff and other personnel in facilitating quality patient care.
- Participates in performance improvement activities to improve patient safety and quality of care.
- Maintains cultural and diversity awareness when dealing with patients, visitors, co-workers and other customers.
- Promotes a supportive, team-work oriented environment.
- Fulfills departmental responsibilities consistent with the long-range plan, mission, vision and values of Bayshore Medical Center.
- This position will be located in and around the Inpatient Behavioral Health Services Department and the Hospital facilities.
- There is some hazard potential per possibility of physical acting out behavior of patients and health related communicable diseases, some assistance may be required in assisting patients with physical hygiene.
- Requires current certification by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation and BLS certification.
- Bachelor of Arts or Science degree from an accredited institution in therapeutic recreation or behavioral health related services. Masters degree preferred.
- One to two year related experience and/or training is preferred.
- Must demonstrate ability by education or training in treating people with mental/psychiatric illness.
- Some related experience and/or training is preferred.
- Ability to exercise self-control in potentially volatile situations such as being verbally or physically confronted in a threatening or aggressive manner; must be able to work and concentrate amidst distractions such as noise, conversation and foot traffic; ability to handle interruptions often and be able to move from one task to another; must be flexible and not easily frustrated in dealing with differences of opinions.
- Successful completion of hospital, general nursing, and unit specific orientation.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with computer technology.
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment to ensure quality patient care.
- Strong problem solving and customer service skills.
- Able to read, write, speak and comprehend English
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom