Partners with the Regional and Federal Leadership team in implementing the strategic safety initiatives, applicable to Federal projects, which build and sustain the region's culture of safety excellence. Supports the Region's safety function on Federal programs, validates adherence to the requirements, goals, and directs improvement planning efforts. Serves as an individual contributor or leader to address specific safety program changes or issues that apply across the NA Federal field businesses. Provides Federal government customer-specific technical support on safety matters to region.
Collaborates with peers. Leads all safety functions, including oversight at an assigned & regional level which may include several sites. May provides direction & oversight to Site Safety & Health Officers (SSHO's).
Location: San Diego, CA preferred
Travel: 35-50% travel
Benefits: Eligible for full benefits on first day of employment
1. Leads the Regional Safety (Federal) Program which includes a number military installations distributed geographically across an identified JCI Federal Region.
2. Responsible for overseeing the implementation of the entire Federal safety program for their assigned region including oversight on location-specific SSHO's.
3. Fosters relationships with project managers and SSHO's; partnering with them to continuously drive up the quality and competence of the JCI Federal Safety Programs.
4. Maintains knowledge & expertise in the Occupational Safety & Health to the level required by Federal government customers.
5. Provides mandatory safety training, including OSHA Outreach & USACE Training (40-hour formalized class)
6. Conducts Audits, risk assessments, accident investigations throughout Region.
7. Contributes to the JCI Federal safety document repository with ensuring programs & processes comply with current regulations and safety standards.
8. Ensure compliance with U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Safety and Health Requirements manual and Johnson Controls safety processes in work activities throughout the region.
9. Writes Abbreviated Accident Prevention Plans and Activity Hazard Analyses for new projects or tasks.
10. Provides Competent Person Training (Fall Protection/Electrical/Confined Space/Asbestos).
11. Conduct safety training for JCFS and subcontractor employees.
12. Makes periodic compliance inspections of projects, maintain permanent safety records, perform accident reviews, oversee, and issue preventative measures to preclude reoccurrence of infractions and accidents.
13. Conducts Safety Audits & Daily On-site Inspections.
14. Review subcontractor submittals for work to be performed, including crane lift plans, methods of procedure, and activity hazard analyses.
15. Provides OSHA Outreach Training, CPR/First-Aid.
16. Owns/Accountable for Safety Execution within the assigned Federal Region.
1. Bachelor's Degree in environmental health & safety related field or equivalent experience.
2. Must possess at least one of the following Safety-related Certifications (based on UFGS-01_35_26):
• Certified Safety Professional (CSP);
• Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH);
• Registered Professional Engineer (PE)
3. 12 Years minimum experience in construction/industrial safety oversight.
4. Expert Knowledge of OSHA & USACE Regulations - Must be competent in SSHO required duties & daily activities.
5. Must possess a High level of expertise - required in order to meet mandatory qualifications (per USACE & DOE) as trainer on high-hazard activities (i.e., electrical lockout/tagout, Confined Space, Asbestos).
6. OSHA 500 Instructor (with current credentials).
7. Excellent verbal and written communicator with business acumen, strong analytical skills and the ability to influence and self-start.
8. Ability to travel 50-60%.
9. The ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret security clearance required. (This involves a background/character, criminal history, employment, and credit check.)
A little about us:
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and industrial leader serving customers in more than 150 countries.