Reporting to the Western Division Executive, the Middle Market Regional Vice President will provide innovative and bold sales and marketing leadership for the Southern California Regional Offices in order to achieve operating plan goals and objectives. The RVP is responsible for the attainment of superior customer service, employee satisfaction, and the establishment of The Hartford as the provider of choice for its customers. This entails creating an environment which supports and motivates the team and its individual team members to develop expert technical, sales and customer service skills. It also requires working with the other members of the management team to establish partnership relationships with matrix partners, their staff and agents in order to significantly increase the penetration of existing agents and to attract and sell The Hartford to new agents.
Sales and Underwriting Management
• Ensure functional and regulatory integrity of the book of business and overall compliance with The Hartford's guidelines, policies, service standards and levels of authority. This requires overseeing the Quality Analysis process and ensuring its effectiveness, consistency, timeliness and fairness.
• Coach Managers in the performance of their roles in order to ensure consistent practice of Sales Excellence discipline.
• Lead, direct and manage all activities of the Middle Market Regional Office Management Team to achieve maximum effectiveness in the execution of initiatives and the achievement of objectives broadly across all segments.
• Regularly monitor the progress of the business development team(s) against agreed upon performance commitments and initiatives and identify and implement specific initiatives to address performance shortfalls.
• Build a set of initiatives to capitalize on greatest opportunities and grow profitably in the territory, including identifying agents we will work with, what business we need from each of them and what capabilities are required to achieve the plan.
• Implement initiatives effectively, including managing relationship with agents and brokers and aligning resources with greatest opportunities.
• Actively manage the flow and mix of business to ensure that long-term financial outcomes are optimized.
Territory Business Leadership
• Manage book of business - Monitor financial metrics to identify trends and anticipate future outcomes. Use financial discipline to guide business decisions.
• Intimately know and understand the territory, including competitors, agents and brokers, the market, and social and economic trends impacting the territory, broad industry trends and impact in order to identify and prioritize opportunities.
• Build an effective network of relationships within the Division and Home Office to use his or her insight to the market, key producers and competitors to influence processes, strategies and product offerings in order to promote financial success.
• Create and sustain a high performing team through knowing and recruiting the best talent, maximizing the skills, flexibility and potential of the professional staff and minimizing employee initiated turnover through effective management/leadership and human resources administration.
• Assess performance and potential accurately and align rewards with assessments of talent, through the effective administration of performance evaluations, compensation plans, development and/or action plans.
• Develop a pipeline of future leadership talent for the enterprise.
• Build and leverage diversity within the organization. Imbed a culture in which employees follow willingly and enthusiastically.
• Lead change effectively.
• Bachelor degree required. Advanced degree attractive.
• CIC or CPCU designation, or working toward such designation.
• 10 years progressive experience in underwriting, sales and supervision.
• In depth knowledge of Commercial underwriting principles.
• Demonstrated proficiency in sales, customer service, technical and leadership.
• Demonstrated strategic thinking skills including an ability to understand customer needs, find new growth and operational improvement opportunities and develop innovative marketing strategies and creative customer solutions.
• Strong business knowledge and decision making skills including an ability to exercise sound business judgment, leverage market and competitor intelligence, apply financial acumen and negotiate for success.
• A commitment to operational excellence including an ability to hold others accountable, establish priorities, execute business processes and build customer-focused service processes.
• Ability to develop effective and productive relationships, including relationships with key customers as well as internal staff. Well honed influence management skills.
• Proven track record in leading and managing others including engaging a workforce, building a talented organization, driving diversity and inclusion, coaching and developing staff, leading change, and promoting a high performance culture. Committed to continuously developing own business and leadership skills.
• Consistent, high level of performance and achievement over the career span.
Behaviors at the Hartford
• Deliver Outcomes - Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers.
• Operate as a Team Player - Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford.
• Build Strong Partnerships - Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others.
• Strive for Excellence - Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve.
At The Hartford, our compensation philosophy is simple: we pay competitive base salaries and reward performance. In addition, you will be eligible to participate in our comprehensive benefits program including Medical, Dental, Life and Disability Insurance, a 401K Plan, an Employee Stock Purchase Plan and more.
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU TELL ME? This position will be based in either Los Angeles or Brea Regional Offices.
The Hartford is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
A little about us:
HIRING VETERANS IS A PRIORITY FOR THE HARTFORD