We are seeking a Registered Nurse (RN) to join the Thomas Johns Inpatient Oncology Unit in the Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at Johnston-Willis Hospital.
The Thomas Johns Inpatient Oncology Unit is a 24 bed medical surgical oncology unit. Most of our patients are undergoing or recovering from both surgical and non-invasive cancer procedures for solid tumors. In addition, we have recently partnered with the Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute to start a comprehensive blood cancer program.
Our compassionate team of Registered Nurses are highly trained to provide care for patients who are undergoing multiple sessions of a wide variety of chemotherapies. Many of our patients are on the unit every 3 weeks over a period of 9-10 weeks or longer. This fosters the opportunity for our nurses to build strong relationships with our patients and their families as patient treatment progresses. We provide palliative care, end-of-life care, and hospice care as well. Patient nurse ratio is 4:1 on the unit unless the patient's diagnosis or treatment plan indicates otherwise.
The Thomas Johns Inpatient Oncology clinical team consists of new graduate nurses who have completed our renowned StaRN Nurse Residency Program, to experienced nurses who have focused in the oncology specialty area for many years. Unit orientation for all nurses is 10-12 weeks; once orientation is complete and after 6 months working on the floor our nurses go through a chemotherapy/biotherapy certification course. 40% of our nurses hold certification (OCN). Once certified, our nurses can begin hanging and administering chemotherapy to our patients.
The environment on the Thomas Johns Inpatient Oncology Unit is positive and supportive, team-oriented, with a strong focus on education and continuing professional development. It is an environment where our nurses and physicians work together closely to assure our patients experience the best possible care.
At Johnston-Willis Hospital, we have been delivering top quality healthcare to Greater Richmond and the Tri-Cities area for more than 100 years, which means our patients can depend on our experience to provide the exceptional care they need. Our 292-bed hospital offers a full range of healthcare services, with specialties in addition to inpatient rehabilitation such as cancer care - through the Thomas Johns Cancer Hospital, our ER which is a state-authorized level III trauma center, and neuroscience, including our first-in-Richmond Gamma Knife Center.
The Registered Nurse (RN) performs care under the direction of the unit Nursing Leadership Team and the Director. The Registered Nurse:
- Responsible for clinical management of the patient.
- Functions as a Registered Nurse by role-modeling professional behavior.
- Functions as a Charge Nurse/Resource Nurse.
- Assures satisfaction of customers (patients, visitors, physicians and staff).
- Participates in and understands Quality Management activities.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills.
- Demonstrates understanding of hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
- Promotes cost-effective unit operations.
- Documents nursing care utilizing the appropriate tools.
- Maintains competencies in clinical areas and is responsible for professional growth and development.
- Complies with professional, regulatory, governmental and departmental standards.
- Patient Rights - Works to support and protect the rights of each patient served, treats each patient with dignity and care, and maintains patient confidentiality/privacy.
- Patient Safety - Demonstrates commitment to patient safety initiatives including patient falls, medication safety, National Patient Safety Goals, critical value reporting, and administration of blood products.
- Graduation from an accredited School of Nursing (required)
- BSN or current enrollment in a BSN program at an accredited School of Nursing (preferred)
- Licensed or eligible for licensure in the State of Virginia as a Registered Nurse or license pending state board approval (required)
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) Health Care Provider (required)
- Previous experience in an acute care facility (p referred)
- Previous experience in Oncology Medical/Surgical (preferred)
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom