The Surgery Registered Nurse (RN) is responsible for provision of direct nursing care as assigned by OR Charge nurse and/or OR Director and in accordance with established policies and procedures of Las Palmas Medical Center. In collaboration with the patient, the patient's family and other members of the health care team, the surgery RN assesses,
plans, implements, evaluates and coordinates the surgical treatment plans. The surgery RN provides professional nursing
care to the surgical patient utilizing the nursing process; collaborates and coordinates with other members of the surgical
team including physicians to deliver quality health care immediately pre, intra and immediately post surgical procedure.
Responsible for assuring that the surgical procedure is properly prepared for and assures quality care for the patient. The
surgery RN is responsible for the facilitation, coordination and direction of the assigned surgical procedure. The surgery RN is responsible for the Development and maintenance of positive work relations with all internal and external customers. POPULATION SERVED:
Core competencies will be assessed primarily on the following patient population(s) served: Pre and intraoperative interventions, including but not limited to Cardiovascular/Thoracic, Neuro, GI, GU, GYN, Orthopedics, Skeletal/muscular conditions and diseases etc. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
The Surgery RN:
Qualifications: REQUIRED LICENSURE/CERTIFICATIONS
- Demonstrates knowledge and application of the Intra-operative nursing process for patients of all ages, assigned to his / her care.
- Monitors and recognizes changes in the patient's behavioral and physiological status, during pre-intra and post operative phases of the procedure; takes appropriate action based on assessment and keeps Charge RN / OR Director appraised of situations as needed.
- Utilizes professional skills and judgment in accepting assignments and delivering care to all surgical patients assigned to his/her care.
- Assumes responsibility for the cases assigned to him/her and provides leadership and direction to other members of the healthcare team assigned to the case.
- Ascertains that all necessary supplies, instruments, and equipment are available in the room prior to the start of her/his assigned surgical case.
- Safeguards sterility of the surgical procedure by continuously monitoring the surgical technique of the healthcare team and the integrity of the sterile field.
- Assists with proper positioning of the surgical patient, by making sure that the correct padding and positioning devices are used correctly and in accordance to the patients size and surgical procedure.
- Demonstrates the ability to operate surgical equipment in a proficient and safe manner.
- Maintains responsibility for adherence to the department and facility policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates knowledge and adherence of AORN and JCAHO standards.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills when interacting with all internal and external customers.
- Assists with other duties as assigned within scope and practice of licensure.
Texas or compact state Nursing License REQUIRED EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE
Texas or compact state Nursing License PREFERRED EDUCATION, LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
1. Preferred two years of operating room experience or Two years of critical care experience.
2. CNOR, ACLS/NALS/PALS desired
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom