100 Top Hospitals Seven Consecutive Years
St. David's Medical Center is part of St. David's HealthCare, one of the largest health systems in Texas, which was recognized in 2014 with a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award . Founded in 1924, St. David's Medical Center is a full-service medical center offering comprehensive medical care at three locations-St. David's Medical Center, Heart Hospital of Austin and St. David's Georgetown Hospital .
Located in central Austin, St. David's Medical Center includes a 350-bed acute care hospital and a 64- bed rehabilitation hospital providing comprehensive inpatient and outpatient care. It is home to the internationally renowned Texas Cardiac Arrhythmia Institute and St. David's Neuroscience & Spine Institute . The hospital provides a complete range of women's services, including its acclaimed maternity unit, maternal-fetal medicine, a high-risk maternal and neonatal transport team, the region's largest and most sophisticated Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and The Breast Center ; complex surgical services; a comprehensive Bariatric Surgery Center ; and a 24-hour emergency department.
St. David's Medical Center was named among the nation's 100 Top Hospitals by Truven Health Analytics from 2010 to 2016. Truven also named St. David's Medical Center to the list of 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals in 2013, 2015 and 2016. The hospital earned a national distinction for patient safety from The Leapfrog Group from 2012 to 2016, and it received the 2016 Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence from Healthgrades for the fifth consecutive year, as well as Healthgrades' 2016 America's 100 Best Hospitals Award™ for the second consecutive year.
Under the indirect supervision of the supervisor and according to unit and hospital policies and procedures, the staff nurse is responsible for the admission and preoperative assessment and preparation of patients admitted on the day of the scheduled surgery procedure. The staff nurse is also responsible for post-operative care and discharge of outpatients. The nurse plans, implements, evaluates, and documents nursing care for assigned patients. Assists with any other activities of the unit. REPORTS TO:
Supervisor, Nurse Manager POSITIONS SUPERVISED:
Provides work leadership to other registered nurses, unit secretary and patient care assistants. CAREER PATH OPPORTUNITIES:
Supervisor, Nurse ManagerQualifications: POSITION QUALIFICATIONS: EDUCATION:
Graduation from an accredited school of nursing or current enrollment in an Alternative Entry MSN program.
Completion of or actively pursuing a BSN degree EXPERIENCE
One year experience as a staff RN on a medical-surgical unit or post anesthesia care unit, and/or surgery experience, and/or same day surgery KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrates effective working knowledge of equipment used in work area.
- Demonstrates effective guest relations with internal and external customers.
- Demonstrates knowledge of Meditech and general computer skills.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding patient information.
- Participates in budget control by using only those supplies necessary within the work area.
- Demonstrate an understanding of HCA's and St. David's "Patient First" safety initiatives through strict compliance to all safety protocols and procedures.
- Works autonomously sets priorities and make independent decisions of a complex nature.
- Accepts shift work and takes call as needed.
- Participates in patient/family teaching.
- Licensed by the Texas State Board of Nurse Examiners.
- Certification in CAPA and CPAN
• Works with patients whose age categories may include infant, toddler, preschool, school age, adolescent, adult and geriatric.
• Recognizes that variables such as age, race, nationality, culture, disease-causing vulnerabilities, socioeconomic factors affect the patient populations under their care as defined in the unit's provision of care statements. Uses interventions appropriate to these factors (e.g., interpreter, dietary preferences, social service consult, etc.) Licenses/Certification:
Current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in Texas. Current certification from the American Heart Association as a BLS course C or D provider. Preferred:
Certification in area of specialty Currently certified as BLS healthcare provider
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom