The Transfer Center Registered Nurse collects clinical information relative to a transfer request and then facilitates the transfer by matching the patient's clinical needs to the facility with bed capacity and service capability. The position works in collaboration with multiple departments within each hospital to foster relationships with referring facilities, physicians, and hospital staff. The position works closely with the Bed/Capacity Coordinator and leadership team at each facility to identify, trend, and report barriers to patient throughput.
Duties include but are not limited to:
• Performs transfer call center functions in a responsive manner responding to all callers with the aid of a computer database consisting of facility service profiles, approved clinical protocols, established patient care protocols, and healthcare information.
• Coordinates transfer of emergent, urgent and elective patients to a final destination facility from all potential referral sources to include but not limited to hospitals, clinics, Nursing Homes, and physician offices via a single call to initiate acceptance and expedite decision making relative to a potential transfer.
• Facilitates patient throughput to a final destination facility with an ongoing focus on quality and efficiency.
• Works directly with Bed Management to ensure timely transfer, appropriate bed assignment, and provides accurate patient information to assist with the development of an initial plan of care.
• Ensures accurate and concurrent data collection and maintenance in both Meditech and Teletracking transfer center application.
• Knowledge of Teletracking Bed Management and other call and office-oriented systems as needed.
• Demonstrates the ability to process patient acuity utilizing critical thinking skills, clinical decision making, and acquired knowledge to assist in assessing situations and facilitate patient flow through the continuum of care.
• Demonstrates the ability to triage and prioritize patient information and communicate an accurate clinical presentation of the patient for accepting physicians and nurses.
• Demonstrates knowledge of human growth and development, assessment, range of treatment, and care of patients of all ages of patients served.
• Completes all training and is competent in the application of Bed Management, Meditech, EMTALA and medical necessity criteria.
• Serves as a HCA consultant and mediator for physicians (and their offices), NP's, PA's, nurses, and ancillary staff. Communicates with physicians and outlying facilities regarding all patient transfers, potential bed placements, and assists with coordinating patient movement from one facility to another.
• Uses problem-solving skills to determine the course of action to generate the best patient clinical outcome, the physicians' preferences, and the transferring and receiving hospitals. Critical thinking skills will be utilized to insure every patient transfer promotes the well being and safety of the patient.
• Through effective and professional communication, acts as a liaison between physicians, patient/family, hospital staff, patient care areas, and outside agencies.
• Participates in daily bed management meetings (possibly virtual) and effectively communicates resources and issues to appropriate area of each facility.
• Demonstrates knowledge of regulatory requirements such as EMTALA, HCA Ethics and Compliance policies, and quality initiatives; monitors self-compliance and implements process changes to ensure compliance to such regulations and quality initiatives.
• Adheres to established policy and procedure and standards of care; escalates issues through the established Chain of Command in a timely manner
• Graduate of an accredited school of Nursing; BSN preferred
License / Certifications:
• Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State of Virginia
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom