POSITION SUMMARY: The Nurse provides direct nursing care in accordance with established policies and procedures of Las Palmas/Del Sol Medical Center and the Texas Board of Nurse Examiners. The Nurse will assist the Director in providing nursing leadership and demonstrates competency in leadership, supervision, and management of staff. The Nurse will supervise and provide feedback to the Director regarding patient care and is a clinical role model. In collaboration with the patient, the patient's family, and other members of the health care team, the clinical RN assesses, plans, implements, evaluates, and coordinates treatment plans. The Nurse will be cross-trained to assist in non-invasive procedures to include EKG and stress testing. On-Call for Heart Recovery is required. Core Competencies will be assessed in accordance to the units' specific patient population served.
POPULATION SERVED: Cardiovascular Services serves a multicultural patient population with potential, suspected, or confirmed cardiovascular disease. Our community has a high prevalence of cardiovascular disease, diabetes and renal disease. Care planning is individualized based on the patient's assessed needs.
1. Demonstrates advanced level of clinical skills and the ability to mentor others to improve the delivery of quality care.
2. Demonstrates knowledge and application of the nursing process.
3. Monitors and recognizes changes in the patient's behavioral and physiological status; takes appropriate action based on assessment.
4. Utilizes professional skills and judgment in delivering and/or delegating care for a group of patients.
5. Participates and cooperates in the departmental based Quality Improvement processes.
6. Supports, maintains and provides an environment which is supportive of quality patient care through effective use of personnel and resources.
7. Plans and implements patient care and teaching based on a total assessment and the age of the patient. Ensures that consents, orders and documentation are present for procedures.
8. Serves as a patient and family advocate with respect to the patient's right to privacy by protecting confidential information and by informing the physicians of patient requests.
9. Ensures sterile techniques and patient safety are maintained.
10. Maintains department equipment, orders inventory for the Heart recovery Unit and non-invasive areas, assures charges are completed each day and ensures daily departmental pharmaceutical needs are met.
11. Participates in Standby and On Call. Provides coverage for care of the patients in the heart recovery Unit and in Non-invasive stress testing on a rotational and/or as needed basis.
12. Plans and implements department inservice program.
13. Assists Director with PI data collection and report generation.
14. Assists cardiovascular leadership in daily assignments according to competency matrix and departmental needs.
15. Other duties as assigned.
1. Basic Cardiac Life Support
2. Advanced Cardiac Life Support within 6 months of hire.
(Failure to obtain ACLS certification within 6 months of hire will result in termination of employment).
3. RN licensure in State of Texas or Compact State
1. Minimum of Diploma in Nursing required.
1. Cath Lab or Critical Care experience preferred.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
1. Reads and writes Basic English with the skills necessary to understand and transfer physician's orders and document
in medical record.
2. Ability to move in excess of 100 pounds, with assistance from other personnel and/or equipment.
3. Ability to listen, empathize and respond to patient, family and external partners needs.
4. Knowledgeable of age appropriate medication dosages and medications commonly used in critical care.
5. Knowledgeable of hemodynamic monitoring and intra-aortic balloon pumping.
6. Ability to manage a team and work with others within a team to ensure quality patient care.
7. Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills.
8. CCRN or Cardiac Specialty Nursing Certification.
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom