Registrar Valley Regional PRN (As needed)
Company: Hospital Corporation of America
Location: Brownsville, Texas
Posted: May 10, 2017
Reference ID: 08948-132985
Responsible for timely and accurate patient registration. Interviews patients for all pertinent account information and verifies insurance coverage.
SUPERVISOR - Patient Access Manager (or Supervisor)
SUPERVISES - N/A
DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Interview patients at workstation or at bedside to obtain all necessary account information. Bed-side registration performed utilizing carts/computers on wheels
• Ensure charts are completed and accurate
• Verify all insurance and obtain pre-certification/authorization
• Calculate and collect patient liable amounts
• Ensure that all necessary signatures are obtained for treatments
• Answer any questions and explains policies clearly
• Process patient charts according to paperwork flow needs and established productivity standards
• Welcome patient and family members in a professional manner. Contact the nursing staff for emergency medical needs and answer patient and visitor questions
• Interview incoming patients, his/her relatives, or other responsible individuals to obtain identifying and biographical information with insurance and financial information
• Assign I-plans accurately and research Patient Visit History to comply with the Medicare 72 hour rule
• Search MPI completely and assign the correct medical code number. Notify Medical Records for any duplicate unit numbers
• Verify insurance benefits and determines pre-certification status. If pre-certification is needed, call the insurance precert department and initiate review or verify authorization number provided by scheduling staff. Enter all information and authorization numbers into the registration system.
• Secure all signatures necessary for treatments, release of medical information, assignment of insurance benefits, and payment of services from legally responsible parties. Obtain copies of necessary identification and insurance cards.
• Explain policies regarding services, charges, insurance billing, and payment of account. Request full or partial payment for services rendered according to collection policies. Issue a Business Office letter to all patients according to policy
• Obtain proper authorization for treatment and approval codes from the insurance carrier for patients presenting for treatment insured by an MCO. Collect co-pays, deposits, and deductibles and documents collection status in the system and chart. Issue waivers for signatures when appropriate.
• Inform former patients or their representatives of delinquent accounts and attempt to obtain payment. Refer delinquent accounts to the Manager/Supervisor for further action
• Receive and receipt payments from patient for services rendered. Prepare daily deposits and maintains the integrity of the cash drawer
• Produce paperwork on each patient for distribution to appropriate departments. Align pertinent documents for establishing the patient's medical record and financial file
• Register and admit all patients after the other registration departments are closed. Route admission documents and forms to appropriate departments
• Price, key, and detail patient charges. Burst charts for distribution to physician's billing service, medical records, ancillary departments, and the business office. Check for double charges on all accounts
• Work with physician offices and ancillary departments, providing information when necessary or forwarding relevant documents
• Document complaints received from patients, the medical staff, and ancillary departments on an incident report form and refer to coordinator for follow-up action
• Acknowledge, file, and send MOX messages via Meditech
• Check for physician orders and attaches them to the patient medical records to ensure that patients are receiving appropriate tests
• Escort patient to his/her destination or refers patient to an available escort
• Activate all pre-registered patients that have reported for services
• Abstract patient charts once discharged for the ER and retrieves a patient Medical Record once they present to ER for treatment
• Attends in-service presentations, and completes mandatory education week, including but not limited to, infection control, patient safety, quality improvements, MSDS and OSHA standards
• Demonstrates knowledge of occurrence reporting system and utilizes system to report potential patient safety issues
• Practice and adhere to the "Code of Conduct" philosophy and "Mission and Value Statement"
• Other duties as assigned
• At least one year of registration experience preferred