About TD Bank, America's Most Convenient Bank®
TD Bank, America's Most Convenient Bank, is one of the 10 largest banks in the U.S., providing more than 8 million customers with a full range of retail, small business and commercial banking products and services at approximately 1,300 convenient locations throughout the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Metro D.C., the Carolinas and Florida. In addition, TD Bank and its subsidiaries offer customized private banking and wealth management services through TD Wealth®, and vehicle financing and dealer commercial services through TD Auto Finance. TD Bank is headquartered in Cherry Hill, N.J. To learn more, visit www.tdbank.com. Find TD Bank on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TDBank and on Twitter at www.twitter.com/TDBank_US .
TD Bank, America's Most Convenient Bank, is a member of TD Bank Group and a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank of Toronto, Canada, a top 10 financial services company in North America. The Toronto-Dominion Bank trades on the New York and Toronto stock exchanges under the ticker symbol "TD". To learn more, visit www.td.com . Department Overview The Legal Department of TD Bank Group is comprised of lawyers and support staff of approximately 300 employees in Canada and the US with expertise tailored to deliver integrated legal solutions to our global business units and corporate functions. We are committed to delivering the highest level of expertise, service, responsiveness and flexibility to our clients by
• Understanding our clients' business legal and regulatory requirements
• Anticipating emerging issues and providing flexible responses based on experience
• Providing advice that protects the Bank's reputation and mitigates legal risk Job Description The Senior Counsel provides oversight, legal advice and support to TD Bank management in Corporate Group Functions
and Business Units. Functions as legal expert in one or more defined subject matter areas and/or specific business lines.
Provides high level legal advice to specific business area(s), may prepare resolutions, contracts, memoranda to
management, litigation documents and forms and participates in major legal actions. Responsible for foreseeing and
protecting the Company against legal risks. Job Requirements Provides leadership, coaching, counseling and guidance to staff.
• Supervises external counsel providing advice or other legal services of the Company.
• Works closely with General Counsel, department attorneys and external legal counsel on specific legal issues related to the
• Gives practical support and assistance to contemporaries, junior attorneys and staff; volunteers' expert advice and experience;
verifies that the information has been understood.
• Serves in one or more permanent or ad hoc practice groups or cross-practice teams of attorneys and staff.
• Assists in the management of expenditures for external counsel.
• Advises lines of business on best practices that help minimize legal and litigation risk.
• May assist General Counsel in developing and managing departmental budget for both internal and external legal spend.
• Anticipates client needs; deals with complex legal issues; clearly delivers difficult messages without jeopardizing client
• Gives pragmatic legal opinions with reasons and rationale.
• Provides advice in ambiguous situations; identifies and prevents future legal risks; identifies and takes action on future
opportunities. Qualifications • J.D. from an Accredited Law School required
• 10+ Years of related experience
• Strong knowledge of at least one area of law relating to banking/financial services operations and issues
• Integrity and high moral standards
• Strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills
• Strong legal and analysis skills
• Detail oriented
• Must be able to apply legal knowledge to the business
• Ability to exercise sound judgment
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Strong teamwork and client skills
• Highly motivated
• Ability to provide difficult, complex and unwelcomed legal advice credibly and convincingly to management
• Extensive experience with federal consumer credit laws and regulations, such as Truth in Lending Act, Reg. Z, Equal Credit Opportunity Act, Reg. B, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, E-sign Act, Reg. E, ACH rules, Service members Civil Relief Act and Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act.
• General familiarity with state retail installment sales (preferably relating to motor vehicle financing), data security, privacy, and consumer collections. Travel % Up to 10% Inclusiveness
At TD, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers and communities in which we live in and serve, and creating an environment where every employee has the opportunity to reach her/his potential.
If you have a disability that requires an accommodation to complete the application process, please e-mail TD Bank's HR Compliance Department at email@example.com. Please include your full name, contact information and details about your request within the e-mail.
EOE/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
**Province/State (Primary) Michigan City (Primary) Farmington Hills ProvState 2 New Jersey City(s) 2 Mount Laurel ProvState 3 Maine City(s) 3 South Portland
A little about us:
TD Bank is creating and sustaining a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the people, cultures and languages of the communities we serve.