GE Renewable Energy
Renewable Energy Information Technology
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
GE Renewable Energy is one of the world's leading suppliers of power generation and energy delivery technologies, with 2015 revenue of more than $10 billion. Based in Schenectady, NY, GE works in all areas of the Renewables Energy industry including hydro, wind and solar. With wind turbine design, manufacturing and assembly facilities in Germany, Spain, China, Canada and the United States, GE Renewables Energy is among the leading providers of clean energy.GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is anEqual Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Posted Position Title
Renewable Energy - Cloud Platforms and Automation Engineer
Security and Risk
Location(s) Where Opening Is Available United States
U.S. State, China or Canada Provinces
The GE Renewable Energy IT CTO organization is seeking a highly motivated engineer to lead platforms and automation in the enterprise cloud environment. The cloud platforms and automation engineer will be responsible for strategy, tool selection, process definition, and day-to-day management of the platforms and automation functions across the IT environment.
The automation engineer will continually seek to innovate and create new ways to streamline and simplify implementation and operational processes. He will utilize leading edge technologies and practices, as well as personal creativity and IT expertise.
In addition, you will:
* Serve as a member of the IT CTO Digital Solutions and enterprise cloud team, with direct responsibility over platforms and automation
* Develop and oversee standard platform designs and build templates in the areas of web, application, database, and others as needed in the enterprise cloud environment, in alignment with the cloud solution architects
* Serve as a general "platform technologist" for both formally supported standard platforms as well as unconventional platforms in the cloud ecosystem
* Ensure a constant and evolving menu of "standard platforms" that meet the needs of the business while maintaining overall alignment with the cloud architecture team
* Ensure available cloud platforms remain current, nimble, and easily consumable by IT app teams
* Define and provide support to deployed standard platforms for the duration of their lifecycle up to "transition to operations"
* Serve as the primary liaison between the enterprise cloud team and the Web / App and DBA teams, and act as the primary escalation point for the same
* Define and implement the overall automation strategy for the entire cloud ecosystem, including provisioning, operations, CI/CD, and utility (ad hoc) needs
* Ensure all provisioning is as close to 100% automated and governed as possible
* View and eliminate all manual steps as defects
* Maximize (through automation) self-service capabilities for operational needs for standard platforms
* Implement and maintain a CI/CD tool chain to maximize speed-to-market
* Oversee all "ad hoc" automation needs for the rest of the enterprise cloud team, including operations, migration factory, solution architecture and others
* Leverage automation to drive a DevOps culture within the CTO function at all times
* Serve as primary point-of-contact for other GE businesses and Cloud providers for the areas of cloud platforms and automation
* Collaborate with cloud computing colleagues inside and outside Renewable Energy and GE to define cloud computing adoption models, best practices, use cases, guidance documents etc.
* Bachelor's Degree in Information Systems (IS), Information Technology (IT), Computer Science or Engineering from an accredited college or university (OR High School Diploma / GED with a minimum 3 years of experience in an IT related functions)
* Minimum of 2 years of experience with public provider Cloud technologies
* Minimum of 2 years of hands-on experience with web, app, and/or database platform design, build and/or support in a fast-moving, highly-critical, enterprise application environment
* Minimum of 2 years of hands-on experience with automation strategy and execution in the areas of provisioning, operations, and/or CI/CD in a fast-moving, highly-critical, enterprise application environment
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
* Direct, hands-on experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) in an Enterprise setting
* Proven leadership skills in both business planning and information technology in a matrix environment
* Ability to drive change in a challenging environment in an inclusive manner
* Demonstrated problem solving and logical thinking skills
* Strong oral and written communication skills
* Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
* Fluency in common industry automation solutions such as Chef, Jenkins, Scalr etc.
A little about us:
GE imagination at work.