Research, develop, write, edit, shoot and deliver live presentation of sports stories, including special reports and well crafted features, on deadline. Serve as host of nightly sportscast as assigned. MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONSSkills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Create original sports stories; gather information for sport stories using team, coach, and player sources, contacts and leads.
- Build contacts and sources within the assigned community.
- Report within assigned deadlines.
- Deliver sports reports, including live reports, demonstrating energy, confidence, professional appearance and voice quality.
- Write, shoot and edit own sports stories for an assigned newscast or news series.
- Combine video, audio and graphics to tell the story effectively.
- Work with a photographer on occasion.
- Work with assignment desk editors and production staff and independently in the newsgathering process.
- Manage general upkeep of assigned company equipment.
- Responsible for representing channel in a professional manner.
- Establish a community presence outside of the newscasts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Must have sufficiently strong story development skills to submit original story ideas on a daily basis.
- Live shot experience required.
- Must be able to develop sources, work a beat, and break stories.
- Must have strong on-camera skills.
- Must have ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and work under time pressure deadline.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to clearly communicate solutions.
- Ability to relate well with diverse populations and age groups.
- Ability to interface with internal company personnel.
- Ability to handle breaking news on-air.
- Requires adaptability, enthusiasm, initiative and a positive approach to problem solving.
- Must obtain and maintain a valid driver’s license for authorized driving in the State of residence.
Related Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field or comparable television work experience preferred.
- 3 years Television news or sports reporting experience
- Works inside in a climate controlled environment and outside throughout the year and may be subjected to various weather conditions that could include extreme heat or cold conditions.
- Must be able to work under time pressure deadlines and willing and able to work different shifts or longer shifts due to "breaking news" and severe weather emergencies.
- Willing and able to work weekends and holidays.
- Lifting and carrying up to 70 pounds.
Charter Communication is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority/Female/Veteran/Disability