Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global biopharmaceutical company whose mission is to discover, develop and deliver innovative medicines that help patients prevail over serious diseases.
One shared journey is moving us forward at Bristol-Myers Squibb. Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious disease. Empowered to apply our individual talents and ideas so that we can learn and grow together. Driven to make a difference, from innovative research to hands-on community support. Bristol-Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
The Clinical Pharmacology & Pharmacometrics (CP&P) department within Exploratory Clinical & Translational Research (ECTR) is searching for a scientist with specific expertise in Quantitative Systems Pharmacology. The scientist will join the Quantitative Clinical Pharmacology (QCP) group to develop predictive mechanistic models using the principles of Pharmacology and Systems Biology (i.e. Systems Pharmacology) to address drug-discovery and development questions pertaining to the Immunoscience therapeutic area. The responsibilities of the scientist will include:Providing leadership to and collaboration with multidisciplinary project teams to develop and apply Quantitative Systems Pharmacology (QSP) models to aid in target prioritization, therapeutic modality selection, chemical/biotherapeutic optimization, biomarker characterization and early clinical trial designWorking with external groups to accelerate the internal Systems Pharmacology efforts in key disease areasProviding expert support to project teams to design, execute and interpret clinical studiesMaintaining an active relationship with colleagues in Clinical Pharmacology & Pharmacometrics at the project level as well as in the advancement of PharmacometricsNetworking as appropriate with experts in Discovery Biology, Non-Clinical PK/PD and other groups to share learnings and enhance consistency in best practicesNetworking with stakeholders in Discovery Biology to identify and interpret experiments critical for model development and refinementFurthering the development of QSP virtual population workflows and script-based analysis packagesKeeping up to date with emerging literature and science in the systems biology/pharmacology modeling and simulation sciencesBuilding a personal track record of publication in the QSP field. Qualifications:
Ph.D. in Engineering, Mathematics, Bioinformatics, Pharmacometrics, Systems Biology/Pharmacology or a related field, with 2 years of mathematical modeling & computer simulation experience for biomedical/pharmaceutical applications (experience within the pharmaceutical industry or pharmaceutical consulting would be desirable). Candidates with M.S. degree and significantly more industry experience will also be considered.
- Excellent understanding of theory, principles and statistical aspects of advanced mathematical modeling and simulation.
- Knowledge of process control theory would be desirable.
- Thorough understanding of the basic principles of pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics
- Ability to learn new areas of biological sciences and build on solid foundation of quantitative skills to develop Quantitative Systems Pharmacology models
- Ability to communicate internally and externally on topics related to Clinical Pharmacology and Quantitative Systems Pharmacology is required
- Ability to keep up-to-date with and propose the implementation of scientific and technological developments in the area of Systems Pharmacology/Biology
- Hands-on experience with modeling software like JDesigner/Systems Biology Workbench, Entelos PhysioLab Platform, Matlab/SimBiology/Simulink, DBSolve, etc.
- Experience with Matlab and SimBiology would be particularly desirable.
- Experience with general programming and data analysis tools/languages such as R, Matlab, Spotfire, etc, is required
- Desire to interact as a modeling and simulation expert with matrix project teams working closely with experts from different functional areas (pre-clinical and clinical)
- Experience working in the Immunoscience therapeutic area is desirable
- Knowledge of current practices and issues in pharmaceutical R&D in disciplines such as clinical pharmacology, bioanalytical, biopharmaceutics, and toxicology would be a plus
A little about us:
Our shared focus to become a Diversified Specialty BioPharma company is driving us forward. Pioneering in new areas of research.