At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description:3M is seeking a Research Scientist for the Advanced Materials Division (AdMD) located in Decatur, Alabama. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.Job Summary:
The person hired for this position will have a polymer science background, polymerization experience (preferably emulsion and solution polymerization), and an understanding of polymer processing and characterization. The candidate would have an interest in fluoropolymer research, manufacturing processes, the ability to drive capital improvement projects in the pilot plant and an interest in supervision.Primary Responsibilities
include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Be an active team member on New Product Introduction (NPI) programs, lead new polymer development in the pilot plant, and interface with manufacturing during product scale-up.
- Leading NPI projects.
- Understanding the fluoropolymer manufacturing processes and assist in manufacturing improvement projects.
- Identifying capital improvement projects and interface with project engineering to facilitate improvements.
- Experience navigating the IP landscape in assigned areas and actively participate in developing new IP.
- Recording results and document procedures through reports and presentations.
- Supervising pilot plant technicians.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a science or engineering discipline from an accredited institution
- Minimum of three (3) years of combined laboratory and/or manufacturing environment experience
- Master's degree or higher in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science or Polymer Science from an accredited institution
- Polymerization experience
- Minimum of five (5) years' experience in the chemical industry
- Supervisory experience
- Pilot plant experience
- Strong oral and written communication skills
: Decatur, AlabamaTravel:
Up to 15% domestic/internationalRelocation:
Responsibilities of this position may include direct and/or indirect physical or logical access to information, systems, technologies subjected to the regulations/compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws.
U.S. Export Control laws and U.S. Government Department of Defense contracts and sub-contracts impose certain restrictions on companies and their ability to share export-controlled and other technology and services with certain \"non-U.S. persons\" (persons who are not U.S. citizens or nationals, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., refugees, \"Temporary Residents\" (granted Amnesty or Special Agricultural Worker provisions), or persons granted asylum (but excluding persons in nonimmigrant status such as H-1B, L-1, F-1, etc.) or non-U.S. citizens.
To comply with these laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within 3M that may present access to export controlled technical data, 3M must assess employees' U.S. person status, as well as citizenship(s).
The questions asked in this application are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation purposes only. Failure to provide the necessary information in this regard will result in our inability to consider you further for this particular position. The decision whether or not to file or pursue an export license application is at 3M Company's sole election.
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.
Innovation is a way of life at 3M. We solve problems by applying creativity, team work and ingenuity to improve life for millions of people worldwide.