At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description: 3M is seeking a Research Specialist-X-Ray Focus for the Corporate Research Analytical Laboratory (CRAL) located in Maplewood, MN. Here, you go. Job Summary
The person hired for the position of Research Specialist-X-Ray Focus
will solve problems across 3M as well as develop technology valuable to new differentiated products via expertise in X-ray diffraction/X-ray scattering and structural analysis of materials.
3M is a global, innovative company that succeeds by inventing new materials/process technologies to enable new products and open new markets. 3M has a global Corporate Research Laboratory with capabilities in multiple disciplines: materials, process, analytical and systems. The Corporate Research Analytical Laboratory is seeking a 3M is seeking an expert in X-ray diffraction/X-ray scattering and structural analysis of inorganic materials, products that are composed or utilize inorganic materials, and the processes employed to manufacture them, to support R&D, marketed product development, and manufacturing. We are looking for a talented scientist with both a passion and a vision for creating novel, multidisciplinary approaches to drive 3M growth. Primary Responsibilities
include but are not limited to the following:
- Lead efforts in X-ray scattering testing and analysis including X-ray diffraction, microdiffraction, small angle X-ray scattering, non-ambient X-ray diffraction, and surface scattering techniques to perform crystalline phase identification, evaluate crystallite size, conduct preferred orientation evaluation and quantification, quantify crystalline phase content, identify and quantify phase separation
- Interpret X-ray scattering data to provide structure/property relationships
- Lead efforts toward new technology development in test methodology and materials characterization
- Provide comprehensive, multi-disciplinary approach to solving problems
- Report data and research efforts in both written and verbal form
- Master's degree or higher in a science or engineering discipline from an accredited university
- Experience with X-ray scattering and X-ray diffraction
- Ph.D. degree in Materials Science, Physics or Chemistry related discipline from an accredited university
- Experience with one or more of the following: X-ray diffraction, X-ray scattering, crystalline phase identification, Rietveld methods for structural analysis and crystalline phase quantification, synchrotron-based X-ray techniques
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong networking skills, superior interpersonal and leadership skills
- Experience working on a cross functional team
- Microsoft Office proficient
Maplewood, MN Travel:
May include up to 5% Relocation:
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.