The REST API Software Development Engineers in the Connected Offerings team build and operate the infrastructure and software for Johnson Controls applications in the Internet of Things and Industrial Internet. They work on back-end big data systems to store and manage data in our platform, develop and support client SDKs and APIs to access our platform, and with our product engineers across the company to embed connectivity in our products. They are familiar with modern full-stack client tools to make use of that data on the web, in mobile applications, and in other applications. They approach testing as a scientific process, integral to the development of software.
This position will have a strong focus on REST API design, security, and identity management, and successful applicants will highlight their experience in this area in their cover letters. This position will have deep understanding of the semantics of HTTP Verbs, knows how SAML compares to OAuth, documents their APIs with Swagger endpoints, and has implemented APIs in a cloud environment where the requests flow through load balancers and proxy servers before hitting server code.
- Plan, Develop, Test, and Document software for connecting devices and other software products to the JCI Cloud and Data Platform
- Act as a Security Champion and educator on Identity and Access Management (IAM) issues
- Enhance and assist with the operations of the JCI Cloud and Data Platform
- Work with other software developers to embed protocols and libraries in JCI products, and with our partner's products
- Work with Product Management to define product features, and with our organization to communicate features to our sales channels, support organizations, and our customers
- Occasional travel will be required
Skills and Qualifications:
- BS in Computer Science/Electrical or Computer Engineering, or has a degree and demonstrated technical abilities in similar areas.
- Has strong written skills and the ability to effective communicate technical analyses and results to technical and non-technical audiences as appropriate.
- Deep knowledge of HTTP, REST, OAuth, JWT, and other standards in the web API ecosystem
- Demonstrable knowledge and skills with security, authentication, and authorization in distributed systems and the web
- Experience with SQL and multiple Relational Database Management Systems
- Experience with systems programming on Linux/Unix or Windows
- Hands-on experience with public clouds such as Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services, or the Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience with NoSQL or alternative data storage systems
- Experience with messaging systems such as Kafka, Amazon Kinesis, or Azure EventHubs
- Experience with IoT products
- Experience with a leading API Management platform (e.g. Apigee, Mashery)
- Familiarity with front-end web development and single-page HTML5 applications
- Mobile application development, native or hybrid.
- Software development for embedded systems
- Distributed version control systems such as git, Agile software development, and comfort using management systems like Github/Visual Studio Team Services/JIRA
A little about us:
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and industrial leader serving customers in more than 150 countries.