Risk Solutions Director
This position requires the completion of Nationwide's LEADERSHIP MATTERS Certification. This required training for new leaders, will take place over the course of the first year in the role.
**ADDITIONAL INFORMATION - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY**
The information between the asterisks contains specific information about this position while the information after the asterisks contains general information about jobs in this job family at Nationwide.
Please note that this position may be filled at the Director or Manager level depending on the qualifications and related experience of the chosen applicants.
Nationwide Private Client is a bold insurance company dedicated to the development of our associates, unlocking profitable growth opportunities for our agents and brokers while working relentlessly to meet the distinctive coverage and service needs of our clients. We measure our success by the relationships we build and the trust we earn.
Nationwide Private Client is a Nationwide company that services the affluent market and holds a rating of A+ from both A.M. Best and Standard & Poor's.
Who We Are: In looking for new and innovative ways to help consumers achieve their financial goals, Nationwide Private was created to serve the affluent and high net worth market for Personal Insurance. We seize opportunities, we are relentless on our clients' behalf, we listen and adapt to our agents and we respect their time. Say "yes" to Nationwide Private Client!
Job DescriptionThe Risk Solutions Manager will directly and/or indirectly supervise a team of Risk Solutions experts in a geographic region and serves as an integral part of the regional leadership team. The Manager will be responsible for the daily execution of the Risk Solutions business plan in support of Nationwide Private Client. The position reports directly to the Risk Solutions Executive.
Responsibilities will include
+ Translate department strategic objectives into daily decision making and implementation.
+ Develop and improve workflow processes to support the Risk Solutions and Underwriting teams.
+ Review work of Risk Solutions team for compliance with best practices.
+ Perform audits as necessary.
+ May be responsible to handle risk management functions for large accounts in region.
+ Develop templates for skill requirements, complete staff assessments, support the development and implementation of training, oversee staff professional development plans.
+ Monitor staff performance, clearly communicate performance expectations and implement performance measurement process to guide continuous improvement.
+ This list of responsibilities is not all inclusive.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
+ Exceptional organizational and time management skills.
+ Excellent written and oral communication skills.
+ Demonstrates intellectual curiosity and takes initiative to learn.
+ Strong verbal, listening and relationship building skills.
+ Ability to develop procedures and guidelines.
+ Ability to manage multiple, changing priorities.
+ Highly skilled in change management and has demonstrated ability to coach teams through change
+ Ability to lead projects independently.
+ Expertise in use of MSB RCT preferred
+ Expertise in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Education and Experience
+ Minimum 7 years experience in personal insurance risk management, underwriting or similar roles.
+ Must have direct experience in, and a keen understanding of, the affluent / high net worth insurance marketplace and be able to clearly articulate how a risk management program can positively influence competitive advantage.
+ Should have experience working with independent insurance agents who serve the affluent / high net worth marketplace in designing programs that best fit a client's unique insurance needs.
+ Should have experience engineering risk and finding solutions to mitigate loss.
+ Prior experience in leading teams preferred.
+ Bachelor's degree preferred.
JOB SUMMARYLeads the Personal Lines Insurance Loss Control department. Directs the development of consistent loss control practices within the assigned operation for both internal associates and external vendor companies. Works closely with leadership on the strategic development and implementation of loss prevention, loss reduction and safety plans that align with corporate objectives. Works closely with regional leadership, regional departments and staff offices to align the LC department with company/regional strategy and vision. Direct reports may include LC associates at any level.
RELATIONSHIPReports to Vice President, AVP or UPO. Typically 6 to 8 associates report directly to the position with approximately 40-50 in-direct reports.
1. Directs market analysis. Works with claim and underwriting departments to capture data needed for risk selection, pricing and experience.
2. Develops and recommends loss reduction and prevention programs based on loss data and trend analysis. Implements loss control programs across the assigned operation. Plans, develops and recommends loss control objectives. Develops and implements with administrative direction, the plans, programs and controls necessary to assure attainment.
3. Works closely with other departments in identifying market changes and enhance surveys to guide consistency. Directs implementation of appropriate certifications and audits across the assigned operation. Oversees all Department of Insurance audits as they relate to Loss Control.
4. Acts as mentor for loss control managers and consultants. Provides consulting to ensure appropriate training is developed and implemented within regional offices.
5. Directs the development of Regional Loss Control Managers and Loss Control associates on techniques or procedures to ensure consistency on judgments rendered in the areas of risk desirability, degree of exposure or hazard and risk improvement.
6. Establish and implement minimum standards for service level agreements (SLAs) production standards and measuring for quality in risk assessment and loss control services.
7. Direct workflow enhancements within business unit structures by coordinating account reviews/surveys when client's operating territories extend in multiple territories.
8. Develop departmental budgets, which include forecasting, FTE, salary budget expense, travel expense, training and equipment needs.
9. Responsible for management of associates that includes performance management, salary planning and administration, training and development, workflow and organizational planning, hiring and placement and disciplinary actions.
10. Directs the management of vendor performance and relationships.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTSEducation: BS/BA degree in insurance, business administration, economics/finance or engineering required.
Designations: Attainment of Certified Safety Professional, Associate of Loss Control Management, Associate Safety Professional or Associate in Risk Management desired. Holds licenses/certifications as required by state laws and regulations.
Experience: Minimum of 10 years of loss control experience preferred, plus a minimum of 4 years in a leadership role within Loss Control or Underwriting function.
Knowledge: Building construction and repair methods, Loss control policies, practices and procedures, insurance coverage and underwriting, claims and related issues.
Skills/ Competencies: Strong relationship, marketing and consulting skills required to interact with underwriting, agents, policy holders and vendors. Strong written and verbal communication skills, ability to operate a personal computer and other business equipment, prioritize work, and meet deadlines. Refer to Loss Control job documentation for additional requirements.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
Staffing Exception to the above minimum job requirements must be approved by hiring manager's leader and HRBP.
JOB CONDITIONSOvertime Eligibility: Not Eligible (exempt)
Working Conditions: May require overnight travel. Must have a valid driver's license and maintain a good driving record. Must be able to conduct physical surveys. Must be able to climb, stoop, bend, balance on various heights, crawl and lift up to 50 lbs.
The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Job Evaluation Activity: Created 7/2013 KMP