Position Title: Apprentice - Skilled Trades Function: Manufacturing Level: Hourly
Cummins is a place big enough to coach and develop a global workforce and create the world's leading clean, engine technology. We're also small enough for you to find your fit and personal passion with a team of dependable, innovative thinkers who are developing their careers within a diverse, inclusive, empowering environment.
Learn more about this role and how you can begin Working Right .
Our Engine Business Unit delivers reliable, durable, high performing products to our global partners. Working in an innovative space, you'll develop high tech solutions that will fuel your advanced career skill set and empower you to own your career. Our integrated businesses demand the talents and creativity of individuals with a wide range of skills and experience.
This is an exciting opportunity in Columbus, Indiana for a Mechanical Engineer.
Cummins USA is where you can work on industry leading engineering projects
Your impact will happen in these and other ways:
This is a four (4) year program registered with the North Carolina Department of Commerce. Individuals will work under the guidance of a skilled journey worker, have responsibility for gaining electrical or mechanical skills , performing preventive and corrective maintenance on completely automated transfer lines, CNC or Assembly equipment to support the daily production operations. Individuals will be required to complete coursework through the North Carolina Community College system .
Skills and Experience Required:
- Train with skilled journey workers under the direction of Maintenance managers
- Complete coursework within the North Carolina Community College system within prescribed 4 years
- Complete skill matrix and skill level test as per skill trade program
- Support the production operation by providing immediate response, under the guidance of a skilled journey worker, to minimize equipment downtime
- Must be able to rotate within plant and shift to support production requirement
- Become skilled at troubleshooting techniques to troubleshoot and perform all required electrical and/or mechanical maintenance on automated equipment under the guidance of a skilled journey worker
- Participate in periodic skill reviews to ensure proper progress is made
- Actively participate in the Skills Trade Training Program for continuing skills improvement
- Follow all RMEP safety practices and procedures
- Perform routine preventive maintenance (PM) activities
- Utilize Maximo CMMS to record and track work activities
- Work a flexible schedule; including rotating shift
Qualifications: Required Education, Licenses or Certifications
- Team Work : Able to share credit with co-workers; display enthusiasm and promote an effective working environment; work closely with other teams as necessary; support group decisions and solicit opinions from co-workers; display team spirit. Treat others with respect and dignity.
- Commitment to Task : Able to take responsibility for actions and outcomes and persist despite obstacles; give long hours to the job when necessary; demonstrate dependability in difficult circumstances and show a sense of urgency about getting results.
- Integrity : Able to be tactful, maintain confidences, and foster an ethical work environment; prevent inappropriate behavior by co-workers; give proper credit to others; handle all situations honestly.
- Decision Making/Problem Solving : Able to take action in solving problems while exhibiting good judgment and a realistic understanding of issues; able to use reason, even when dealing with emotional topics; review facts and weigh options.
- Leadership: Advocate new ideas, even when risk is involved; set an example for co-workers; provide constructive feedback to others; constructively resolve conflict.
- Communication: Able to clearly present information through the spoken or written word; read and interpret complex information; talk with customers or team members; listen well.
- Flexibility: Able to remain open-minded and change opinions on the basis of new information; perform a wide variety of tasks and change focus quickly as demands change; manage transitions effectively from task to task; adapt to varying customer needs.
- Priority Management: Able to identify and prioritize issues as well as balance school and work activities
Compensation and Benefits
- High School Diploma or GED Equivalent
- Experience working in an industrial environment
- Mechanical Aptitude
- Problem solving skills
- Successful completion of apprentice assessment tests
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills
- Must be a proven self-starter, with a willingness to work in a team environment
- Must have basic understanding of PC's and possess basic PC skills
Base hourly rate commensurate with experience. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits. Cummins and E-verify
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Ready to think beyond your desk? Apply for this opportunity to start your career with Cummins today. careers.cummins.com
Not ready to apply but want to learn more? Join our Talent Community to get the inside track on great jobs and confidentially connect to our recruiting team: http://connect.find.ly/cummins
No, this isn't one of those ordinary jobs.