Methodist Hospital opened in 1963 as the first hospital in the internationally acclaimed South Texas Medical Center. From the beginning, we've recognized the unique needs of each of our patients. It's a process that we continue to improve on, creating ways to better serve the community when they need us the most. Methodist Hospital offers a broad range of specialties including cardiology, bone marrow transplant, emergency medicine, neurosciences, maternity care, gynecology and orthopedics. Methodist Hospital is accredited by the Joint Commission in stroke care and is designated as an accredited Chest Pain Center. We deeply value our staff and our patients. As the flagship hospital of the Medical Center and of the Methodist Healthcare system of hospitals, we appreciate the support and recognition we recieve from the community in being ranked No. 1 in the Express - News Reader's Choice Awards from 2009-2013. We also enjoy being the most preferred hospital in San Antonio, as consistently reported by the Consumer Research Corporation.
General Statement of Duties:
To provide a safe, effective and comprehensive research-based educational information to women and families in the community through lactation services, childbirth/parenting, CPR/First Aid, and/or child passenger safety training.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Conducts classes, workshops, and demonstrations, and provides individual instruction to teach designated courses of study and/or skills using established curriculum.
2. Uses a variety of resources to assess patient's health awareness and educational level. Evaluates patient's needs, identifies problems, plans and implements intervention and evaluates outcomes.
3. Provides appropriate follow-up and/or referrals as needed (which may include documentation).
4. Supports and instructs customer and customer's family (significant other, care giver, etc.) in understanding procedures and equipment used to obtain optimal health status.
5. Participates in and attends in-services and continuing education relevant to the performance of the position to enhance proficiency and to remain current on all job-related aspects.
6. Notifies appropriate persons when materials, supplies and/or equipment related to performance of duties are needed or malfunctioning.
Minimum Education and Experience:
1. Graduate of accredited nursing program required.
2. Minimum two-year experience in patient education and/or women's health.
Minimum License and Certificates Required:
1. Registered Nurse - valid and current Texas license
2. CPR/First Aid Certification
3. Childbirth education certification (ICEA or ASPO Lamaze), or breastfeeding management certification-IBCLC must be obtained within two years from the date of hire.
4. Certified Child Passenger Technician is required for car seat safety training.
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom