RN Clinical Educator (Intermediate ICU) - Education and Training
Company: Hospital Corporation of America
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posted: May 30, 2017
Reference ID: 01578-77194
Downtown San Antonio is the backdrop for a vibrant and diverse community of patients served by Metropolitan Methodist Hospital. Part of the Methodist Health System, Metropolitan is recognized for providing Center of Excellence level of care for cardiac, neuro, and bariatric patients. The Women's Pavilion delivers over 4,000 babies a year. The urbanization of San Antonio has resulted in significant growth in our emergency services and intensive care. Our facility is large enough to provide a wide range of services but we are able to support individualized development in a personalized setting. We apply evidence based practice to every patient encounter. By focusing on continuous quality improvement, we seek to deliver world class care with a personal touch. The community and our family environment are at the heart of all we do and sustain our values driven organization.
General Statement of Duties:
The RN Clinical Educator is a professional Registered Nurse with in-depth scientific knowledge, technical expertise, skill and competency that serves as a consultant and resource in the specialty area and supports System nursing initiatives and the overall nursing strategic plan. The RN Clinical Educator participates in the development of nursing education and programs that facilitate forward movement in nursing. Acts as a change agent by suggesting new or innovative approaches based on evidence-based nursing practices that result in improvements in quality outcomes. In conjunction with the Unit Director(s), he/she continuously applies and shares knowledge regarding regulatory standards, laws, and Hospital policies and procedures with supported staff.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Develops plans and presents educational activities within areas of expertise and directly or indirectly fosters the development of competence in the learner.
2. Works with intra-or interdisciplinary teams, brainstorms and problem solves and participates in strategic planning.
3. Serves as a change agent at the organizational, facility and department level. Facilitates the initiation of, adoption of, and adaptation to change and influences the necessary policies and procedures.
4. Assists individuals and groups in defining problems, identification of internal and external educational resources, and selecting educational options. Provides feedback to the learners and organization related to the effectiveness of the learning and learning activity.
5. Integrates research into practice and develops staff members' knowledge and skills in the research process, as well as fosters the use of systematic evaluative research with regard to clinical, educational, and managerial data. Evaluates outcomes of educational endeavors and tracks learner outcomes in line with evidence-based practice.
6. Manages overall program activities, including human and monetary resources. Ensures that educational activities are congruent with the organization's mission, vision and goals. Models behaviors that reflect participation and leadership in activities within the organization, such as serving in key roles on committees, councils, and administrative teams.
Minimum Education, Experience, Training, Required Knowledge, Skill, Abilities and Other Job-Related Characteristics:
1. Education: Bachelor of Science in Nursing. Master's in Science in Nursing
degree or related feild preferred.
2. Experience: Two years minimum clinical experience in acute care nursing. Three (3) to Five (5) years clinical experience preferred.
3. Employee completes initial and ongoing training and competencies as defined by service line, facility and department/unit which are specific to the needs of the patient population served (if applicable).
4. Preferred: Prior experience in clinical nursing teaching, curriculum design, course development in a nursing academic organization and/or staff development preparation and delivery in acute healthcare setting or clinical Simulation Learning environment.
Minimum License, Certificates, or Registrations Required:
1. Required: RN License to practice professional registered nursing in the state of Texas.
2. Preferred: Certification in the nursing practice area to include: Nursing Professional Development certification from the American Nurse Credentialing Center (ANCC); or Academic Nurse Educator from the Nation League for Nursing (NLN).