Provides direct clinical functions while providing professional education to patients and staff in the Family Ties Birthing Center (L&D, Post-Partum, Nursery, and NICU). FT Days Monday - Friday, Occasional weekends as needed. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
PERFORMANCE EXPECTATIONS: A. Core Competencies :
- Coordinates the development of the education components in collaboration with all appropriate departments.
- Evaluates progress with new hire personnel (to include clinical coaching) and communicates directly with Director/Manager.
- In accordance with all applicable regulatory standards: designs, implements, and evaluates educational activities related to assessed learning needs, new policies / procedures, standards, equipment or knowledge deficits.
- Recommends and modifies curriculum of mandatory, regulatory, and unit based education curriculums based on best practice, individual need and special circumstances.
- Develops annual competency plans and individual competencies, with the Director/Manager for all appropriate departments.
- Support career/credentialing development to include mentoring, precepting and documentation as appropriate.
- Assesses, plans, implements, and evaluates the needs assessments from all appropriate departments.
- Monitors, develops, tracks, and maintains catalog of all Patient Education materials (electronic, television, brochures, handouts, teaching sheets).
- Remains current in, and actively applies new clinical modalities, technical competencies, as well as clinical and research literature related to assigned clinical areas.
- Demonstrates effective planning skills, completes assignments and meets deadlines.
- Provides training that is perceived by the participants as well planned, current, and organized.
- Provides direct patient education information to assist the clinical staff then provides direct bedside mentoring of staff for instructions that will promote a superior continuum of care.
- Maintains needed documents and materials in an organized manner such that they may easily retrieved.
- Participates and cooperates in the unit based Quality Improvement processes and uses Performance Improvement Plan to improve patient safety.
- Participates in Housewide education activities. Meets regularly with other educators to plan/implement educational events, i.e. Hospital Orientation and Skills Fairs.
- Promotes patient and staff education by actively assumes and assists with provision of patient care to patients and families on units while mentoring and training clinical staff in patient care or patient education.
- Catalogs all staff education provided including agendas, minutes and rosters of attendees.
- Monitors, tracks and reports status of staff compliance with required education items.
- Regular, punctual and dependable attendance.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Service: Strives to meet expectations/needs of customers; responds to concerns with sense of urgency; seeks win-win solutions for unreasonable patient/customer expectations
- Quality/Ethics/Integrity: Seeks opportunities for improvement; prevents small problems from becoming large ones; pays attention to detail; follows instructions and protocol/procedures; adheres to company code of conduct; maintains integrity in all aspects of his/her work
- Relationships: Builds effective working relationships; finds and provides information to clarify situations; expands on original ideas; contributes own ideas; places high priority on other team members' goals; gains team agreement to support ideas; clearly explains rationale behind ideas/goals; demonstrates sensitivity to differing cultural views and needs; meets attendance and punctuality requirements
- Adaptability: Seeks to understand changes in work tasks/processes; actively seeks information about new tasks/processes; treats change and new tasks/processes as opportunities for learning and personal growth; speaks positively about changes to others; quickly modifies behavior to deal effectively with change
- Job Specific : As defined in department specific competencies
EDUCATION REQUIRED AND/OR PREFERRED: (list required and preferred separately)
P opulation Served: This position services the Family Center Inpatient Units. In Family Center there is a 25 bed Antepartum/GYN/Post-Partum Unit, 6 bed Labor and Delivery Suite with 2 Operating Rooms and a 13 bed Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
- Bachelors Degree in Nursing required
- RN with Master's in related field preferred
LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION: (list required and preferred separately)
- Georgia RN license required
- BLS - AHA Healthcare Provider required
- ACLS required
- PALS required
- NRP/Instructor required
- Current AWHONN Intermediate Certification within the last 2 years/obtain Instructor for Fetal Monitoring within 1 year of hire
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED OR PREFERRED: (list required and preferred separately)
- 5 years of current MCH nursing experience required
- 1 year teaching experience; i.e. precepting, mentoring, in-service provider, in a clinical environment required
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- Working knowledge of Microsoft programs such as Outlook, Excel and Word
- Working knowledge of multimedia display programs
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multitask various responsibilities
- Knowledge of teaching the adult learner
- Communication skills (verbal, written and kinesthetic)
- Basic computer skills
The competencies identified for this position are summarized and reviewed periodically throughout employment. The required behaviors and measurement associated with core, job specific, age specific, and management (if applicable) competencies and are maintained in the department education file.
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom