SPECIFIC ELEMENTS AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Provides direct nursing care in accordance with established policies, procedures and protocols of the healthcare organization.
- Assesses, plans and evaluates patient care needs including obtaining patient history.
- Carries out physician orders. Rounds with physicians.
- Cares for patients requiring fetal assessment/fetal monitoring.
- Manages the patient's pain including epidural and patient controlled analgesia.
- Administers prescribed medications and monitors vital signs.
- Assists physician during delivery, treatment, examination and surgical procedures.
- Serves as the primary coordinator for the interdisciplinary team.
- Monitors, records and communicates patient condition as appropriate utilizing computerized documentation systems.
- Instructs and educates patients and families.
- Encourages Family Centered Care.
- Has expert knowledge on supporting mothers who breastfeed.
- Provides age and culturally appropriate care.
- Orients and mentors new staff members.
- Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
Will have knowledge of antepartum and intrapartum nursing along with postpartum couplet care.
Customer service abilities including effective listening skills.
Critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast paced environment.
Ability to perform work that requires frequent standing, bending, reaching, squatting, kneeling, moving, lifting of patients and/or equipment up to 50 pounds. EDUCATION:
Graduate of an accredited school of professional nursing required.
BSN degree preferred. LICENSURE:
Current licensure as an RN in VA required.
Current certification as an AHA BLS Healthcare Provider required and NRP required within 3 months of hire. EXPERIENCE:
1 year of Labor & Delivery experience required.
2 or more years of Labor & Delivery experience preferred.
Experience with high-risk ante partum care preferred.
Certification in obstetrics or mother/baby nursing preferred.
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom