- Responsible for the program management of the Environmental Engineering function for the Applied Materials' RD&E and manufacturing operations in Santa Clara and Sunnyvale, CA.
- Position will report to the Sr. Manager of EHS responsible for operations in Santa Clara and Sunnyvale, CA. Position will work closely with site management in RD&E and manufacturing and other EHS staff to drive environmental programs, ensure regulatory compliance and promote continuous improvement.
- Act as Senior Environmental Engineer and oversee other Environmental Engineer(s) in their assigned activities. Also, manage consultants/contractors used to support the environmental programs including development of scopes of work, project management and budget management. Ensures that all work is assigned appropriately and that results are obtained and evaluated.
- Ensure Environmental programs and management systems in place and effective to minimize the risks to employees, the environment and the community. Some of the Key Environmental programs for the site include:
- Chemical Authorization Program
- Management of Change (MoC) and Process Emission and Abatement Assessment Programs
- Hazardous Materials Management Program
- Hazardous Waste Management
- Air Emissions and Permitting management (i.e. BAAQMD)
- Waste Water Permitting and Storm Water Programs
- EPA Superfund and NPDES Permit Management
- EPA Toxic Release Inventory (TRI) reporting
- Ensures compliance with required environmental codes, standards and regulations. Act as a liaison with local, regional or federal regulatory authorities.
- Ensures proper investigations of environmental incidents conducted for EH&S events and drive corrective actions to closure
- Review and report Environmental progress and performance for assigned site/function based on established EH&S metrics to site management.
- Develop Environmental strategies and lead team members to develop action plans for continually improving performance and customer satisfaction.
- Ensures that specific projects assigned are completed as planned to meet EH&S goals. Provides management with updates and escalation on projects/programs. Maintain communication channel with site/location functions.
- Track and trend Environmental related legislation and take appropriate action to comply with requirements. Communicates EH&S issues to all necessary management and employees.
- Remains knowledgeable of progress made in Environmental technology. Ensures that applicable advances in technology are incorporated within Applied.
- Interfaces with internal and external customers regarding Environmental issues
- Provide technical guidance on Environmental issues to the site manufacturing and engineering organizations and contribute to the development of site-wide EH&S standards and procedures.
- Mentorship of junior staff
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills required.
- Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to define problems; collect data; establish facts; draw valid conclusions in controlled situations; and read and understand engineering plans and specifications.
- Education: Bachelor's degree
- 10 years of experience
- Strong safety culture
- Computer use and applications skills required, including MS Word, MS Excel, Powerpoint and Adobe Acrobat. AutoCAD experience is a plus, but not required.
Applied Materials is committed to diversity in its workforce including Equal Employment Opportunity for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
A little about us:
A global leader in materials engineering solutions for the semiconductor, flat panel display and solar photovoltaic (PV) industries.