The SIS Team Lead supervises and provides direction and leadership to the personnel on the Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) Team. The primary accountability of the team is to provide SIS support for their assigned areas and units to ensure that they are operating in a safe and optimal manner. This includes short term system monitoring, oversight, troubleshooting and technical guidance, TAR support, alarm management support, and capital project support. This role works as an integrated area team member, partnering with other Technical teams and Operations Superintendents to deliver strong performance. They should possess a strong track record of delivery and partnering with key stakeholders in their previous assignments. The SIS Team Lead reports to the Process Automation Manager.
Leadership & Personnel Development
- Accountable for the supervision, development, qualification, and performance management of the SIS team in supporting refinery needs.
- Accountable for ensuring that the Roles and Responsibilities/Accountabilities of all members of their team are being met, SIS expectations of the Operations Superintendent are being met, and that the engineer's time is appropriately utilized. It is critical this aspect is managed rigorously to maintain a healthy relationship between the technical and operations organizations.
- Accountable for managing and preparing team budget for the area that they are responsible for.
- Identifying the appropriate division of responsibility between the SIS team and the other teams in the automation division, and staffing appropriately to meet both short term as well as long term goals.
- Perform functional safety audits at Whiting and other BP refineries.
- Ensure the development and succession planning of their teams is taking place.
- Networks with Technical teams, HSSE teams, Operations Superintendents, and counterparts at other sites to ensure delivery of best in class SIS support.
Safety and Compliance
- Accountable for ensuring that self and their teams are in compliance with all relevant policies (including qualification documentation, MOC, regulatory training, completion of action items, spending authorities, etc.).
- Accountable for maintaining technical accuracy pertaining to SIS trip setpoints and associated alarms.
- Accountable for ensuring adequate control engineering support during TAR's, unit start ups, shut downs and abnormal operations.
- Engaged in driving continuous improvement in Process Safety for the units.
- Responsible for development and maintenance of SIS related site technical practices and standards as they relate to projects and day to day operations.
- Accountable for developing, maintaining, and issuing the SIS health monitoring/reporting for the plant.
- Accountable for providing support through their teams for Layers of Protection Analysis (LOPA) and subsequent SIL Target Selection.
Unit Operations and Maintenance
- Accountable for developing/maintaining the short and long term SIS improvement plan in their areas of responsibility.
- Accountable for providing technical support to develop safety requirements specification (SRS) and cause and effect matrixes.
- Accountable for providing technical support for SIS projects.
BS/MS/PHD Engineering degree OR
20 years SIS design/operations experience with 5 years of supervisory experience.
Essential experience and job requirements
- A minimum of 7 years experience in refining or petrochemical industry.
- Understanding of the manufacturing process including economics, commercial awareness, optimization opportunity identification and proper use of technology.
- Demonstrated ability to work in cross functional teams.
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.
Desirable criteria & qualifications
- 7 years relevant SIS design/operations experience.
- Knowledgeable on S84 and IEC 61508/61511 SIS standards.
- Experienced with Safety Instrumented Function SIF.
- Knowledge on DeltaV SIS, HIMA and Triconex safety systems is a plus.
- TUV, CFSE, CFSP, and FSE certifications is a plus.
- A strong instrument and control system reliability background is a plus.
Is this a part time position?
Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of nearly 100,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 100 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
BP's downstream operations refine, transport, sell and trade crude oil and petroleum products. In North America, we are the second-largest refiner and the second-largest fuels marketer. BP has large, modern refineries in Texas City, TX; Carson, CA; Cherry Point, WA; Whiting IN; and Toledo, OH. These five refineries, with total capacity for processing 1.5 million barrels of crude oil every day, are part of a worldwide network of 19 BP refineries. BP's refineries produce a wide range of fuels, petrochemicals and lubricants for America's highway and rail transportation; industry; home, commercial and institutional heating; power generation, and airlines.
[ "25-Nov-2016" ]
A little about us:
One of the world's leading international oil & gas companies, BP employs over 80,000 talented minds in 80 countries, fostering innovation & diversity.