Safety Manager What you will do
Establish and maintain the health and safety of the plant workforce by monitoring and evaluating health and safety conditions; assuring compliance with applicable policies, procedures and governmental standards; and maintenance of the Power Solutions Health, Industrial Hygiene and Safety Programs for the facility. How you will do it
What we look for
- Develop and administer effective occupational health, safety, ergonomics and industrial hygiene programs, including health services functions and maintenance of related policy and procedures in accordance with Johnson Controls Operating System and OHSAS 18001 requirements.
- Be knowledgeable in JCI Best Business Practices and incorporate in programs.
- Educate, motivate and train line supervision and production personnel in good housekeeping practices, safe work procedures, PPE, etc.
- Use specialized testing equipment
- Sample, measure and evaluate employee exposures to in-plant chemical contaminants, including lead and acid mist; and physical agents such as heat and noise exposure.
- Administer the audiometric testing and hearing conservation programs.
- Monitor, analyze and record performance of the plant exhaust and make-up air ventilation systems.
- Assist Occupational Health Nurse (OHN) in administration of medical surveillance and biological monitoring programs according to OSHA standards and company policies and procedures.
- Manage the plant personal protective equipment, work clothing and safety equipment programs according to company standards and operating budget.
- Administer the respiratory protection program, including quantitative fit testing, respirator distribution, cleaning and sanitizing.
- Assist OHN in administration of the workers' compensation program, including effective medical case management, reporting, record maintenance and follow-up.
- Develop and implement effective plant programs for the identification, prevention and control of occupational injuries and illnesses.
- Develop and coordinate plant health and safety education and training programs.
- Serve on the plant safety committee as Co-Chairperson.
- Maintain current awareness of applicable federal, state and local health, industrial hygiene and safety regulations.
- Maintain legal, governmental and company environmental, health, medical and safety-related records according to standards, including confidentiality.
- Maintain an accurate OSHA 300 log.
- Accompany visiting inspectors and report findings.
- Administer the plant hazard communication program, including maintaining up-to-date SDS's, effective identification of all chemicals, chemical inventory and related training and education programs.
- Review all manufacturing and support operations to assure ongoing safety.
- Assist the line organization in developing risk assessments and safe operating procedures for all tasks and in investigating incidents.
- Develop and implement audit programs to review and assure compliance with applicable health and safety standards.
- Accumulate, prepare and enter health, industrial hygiene, and medical and safety data into the IHS computer system. Analyze data and prepare standard and other requested reports for plant and regional management.
- Overtime is required to meet internal and external customer requirements.
- Management and leadership style support positive employee relations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Who we are
- Bachelor's degree required. Occupational Safety/Industrial Hygiene or related field highly preferred.
- Minimum four years of experience in a manufacturing environment with a minimum of 2 years of experience in a supervisory/management role.
- Previous experience in heavy industrial environment highly preferred.
- Previous experience with air sampling and monitoring.
- Experience with medical surveillance and biological monitoring programs.
- Experience with administering a hazardous communication program, including managing and leading an emergency response team.
- Previous experience with OSHA.
At Johnson Controls, we're shaping the future to create a world that's safe, comfortable and sustainable. Our global team creates innovative, integrated solutions to make cities more connected, buildings more intelligent and vehicles more efficient. We are passionate about improving the way the world lives, works and plays. The future requires bold ideas, an entrepreneurial mind-set and collaboration across boundaries. You need a career focused on tomorrow. Tomorrow needs you. Equal Opportunity & Non-Discrimination
- Johnson Controls International plc. is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a qualified individual with a disability or any other characteristic protected by law. To view more information about your equal opportunity and non-discrimination rights as a candidate, visit EEO is the Law , EEO is the Law (supplement) , and Pay Transparency Non-discrimination .
A little about us:
We’re shaping the future. Together, let’s make a world that’s safe, comfortable and sustainable. Tomorrow needs you.