The basic function of the Safety Trainee is to learn to support and augment a successful Operations Department with a variety of work activities, with the goal of becoming qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicles with a hazardous materials endorsement and to become familiar with the business. Common tasks include working on receiving, inspecting, maintaining, shelving and pulling of company equipment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Safety Trainee is capable (with supervision) of performing some safety functions and is also responsible for the following:
• Rig up safety equipment.
• Learn how to safely operate a commercial vehicle and to obtain a CDL license [w/o a hazardous materials endorsement]
• Receive or assist in receiving equipment in from the field.
• Inspect equipment for damage/worn parts.
• If damage or badly worn parts are identified, set item aside for repair, part replacement, or other corrective action consistent with the company's standard procedure or supervisor's instruction.
• Breakdown equipment, work-lines stripped.
• Completely clean equipment and reassemble.
• Shop test equipment on Posicheck.
• Run pressure washer, clean and roll hoses.
• Sweep and clean shop.
• Help and support the work needs of coworkers and other employees.
• Ability to lift between 50 lbs.
• Perform other duties as requested by the Area Manager.
• 24- hour on-call as scheduled and when on-call must be able to report to work within 45 minutes
• Overnight travel required which includes travel/driving long distance; may require being out of town for extended periods of up to 60 days.
Education and/or Experience:
• High School Diploma or GED preferred.
• Must have a valid driver's license with good driving record
• CDL with Hazardous endorsement is required within 6 months of hire; including successful completion of all DOT requirements which includes a DOT physical, drug test and background check in order for be considered for continued employment
Skills and Abilities:
• Good with mechanical applications for assembly/disassembly.
• Ability to climb heights.
• Ability to enter into confined spaces.
• Ability to instruct others.
• Use of hands, arms, eyes and voice and to meet all CDL medical qualification standards.
• Ability to hear in the case of an alarm situation.
• Requires mechanical aptitude.
TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT which will be required and/or available for further development:
• Airgas On-Site Safety Orientation
• Basic Plant Operations
• Basic Haz Whopper
• Basic Confined Space Entry
• Standard CPR/First Aid
• Basic Fire Training
• H2S Training
• Work Permit systems
• Accident/Incident reporting
• Fall Protection
• Ladder Safety
• Hazard Identification
• Hazardous Material 126/181
• Basic operation and maintenance of breathing air compressors
Breathing Apparatus (SCBA/SABA)
• Breathing Apparatus Maintenance and Cleaning
• Breathing Apparatus Fit Testing
• Breathing Apparatus Selection
• Breathing Apparatus Use and Manufacturer's Specifications
• Scott Field Level Maintenance training
Personal Protection Equipment (NFPA Level B, C & D)
• SCBA/SABA, Air Purifying Respirators
• Hooded chemical - Resistant Slash Suit
• Gloves - Chemical -Resistant
• Hard Hats
• Nomax Coveralls
• Goggles (Chemical - Splash)
• Safety Glasses
• Gloves Leather Palm
Detection Equipment (Operation and Troubleshooting)
• Personal Electronic
• Portable Electronic
• Fixed Electronic
• Tube Type
• Calibration of monitors, fixed and portable
Reports and Forms Used/Required
• Service orders
• 24 Hour reports
• Rig up sheets
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Shop and yard environment; may be frequently exposed to wet, humid, outside weather conditions and vibration; works in customer environments; high pressure, chemicals, shop traffic. The noise level in work environment is usually moderate but can require hearing protection.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: See attached Physical and Mental Requirements for the position.
We offer a competitive salary, outstanding benefits including medical/dental, life & disability, and 401(k) plan with match.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, protected veteran status or disability
See Job Description
A little about us:
Airgas is a company of hardworking men and women dedicated to helping our customers succeed.