To assist lab staff and management as needed in jobs (preanalytical in nature) that do not require performance by testing personnel in accordance with established Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), applicable sections of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFRs), with emphasis on Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act of 1988 (CLIA), and applicable Baxalta-BioLife policies, procedures and quality initiatives.
- Perform sample receiving/accessioning/processing according to SOP.
- Perform sample centrigugation according to SOP as applicable to assigned area.
- Responsible for discarding samples.
- Request and receive back-up samples if applicable to assigned area.
- Perform equipment maintenance and sample management functions to ensure accuracy and appropriate sample processing is performed and completed so testing is performed in a timely manner.
- Daily communication of issues related to laboratory equipment, supplies, workload scheduling and participation in continuous improvement activities. Interactions involve basic courtesy, tact and respect.
- Non-technical duties include monitoring supply inventories, ensuring that supply bins on the Lab floor are adequately stocked, and that work area is maintained in a compliant state, equipment and instrumentation is cleaned in accordance with SOPs.
- Participate in operational excellence initiatives and projects to drive a culture of continuous improvement to achieve site operational excellence goals (including but not limited to 5S, Value Stream Mapping, Kaizen and Developing Defect Free Processes (DDFP).
- Maintain general cleanliness of work area and assist other work areas as needed to ensure a clean and professional environment.
Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITY:
• Ability to read and follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and to maintain complete and accurate records.
• Demonstrate work history of above average performance and attendance.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, analytical and problem solving skills and be detail/result oriented.
• Ability to stand up for 6 - 8 hours
• Ability to lift, carry, pull up to thirty (30) pounds.
• Occupational exposure to blood borne pathogens.
• Laboratory environment requiring the ability to walk and stand for the entire work shift.
• Requires frequent lifting up to 30 pounds, and occasional lifting up to 35 pounds.
• Due to potential exposure to blood borne pathogens, 90% of work tasks require prolonged glove wear.
• The physical demands described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.Qualifications Equal Employment Opportunity
Shire is an equal opportunity employer. Shire evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
EEO is the Law
EEO is the law - Supplement
Pay Transparency Policy Reasonable Accommodations
Shire is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please call 484-595-8400 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
At Shire, we help people with rare diseases and specialized conditions live their lives to the fullest.