Adecco, the world leader in workforce solutions, has an immediate opportunity for a 8 month contract assignment for a Scientist I - Entry Level in South San Francisco, CA. APPLY NOW if you meet the qualifications below!!
Must be eligible to work for any employer in the U.S. without sponsorship / (No corp to corp or 3rd party arrangements); and must be able to pass a full background check, employment verification, educational verification, drug screening and reference checks, upon offer.
Job Title: Scientist I - Enry Level
Location: South San Francisco, CA
Start Date: 1/23/2017 or ASAP
End Date: 9/22/2017
Pay Rate: $24.10 per hour / Adecco W2
- This is an ENTRY LEVEL position. The manager is looking for recent college graduates with 0-1 years of experience. Individuals should have some previous lab experience with Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) techniques as well as basic molecular biology skills (PCR, DNA extraction, etc). Industry experience preferred but academic experience is acceptable as well. If academic, preferably skills should be from an undergrad research project as opposed to just lab classes.
- In this position, the selected candidate would come to the site earlier than the other scientists and complete the prep work on the machines that the scientists will need to use for that day. In addition throughout the day, they may assist with troubleshooting the machines and completing other laboratory activities.
- There is a lot of potential for growth in this role and the individuals need to be VERY self-motivated, eager to learn, and proactive. These individuals need to be at the site early (6:30 or 7am) to complete the machine prep work so the manager needs someone who is a self-starter and can complete tasks while on their own.
- In addition, troubleshooting and problem-solving skills are very important. The manager does not expect these individuals to come in being experts on the machines; however, she would like to see individuals who can troubleshoot and take necessary steps to find a solution to the problem if something goes wrong.
- PLEASE ENSURE INDIVIDUALS SUBMITTED TO THIS ROLE ARE WILLING TO START THEIR SHIFT AS EARLY AS 6AM IF NECESSARY
The successful candidate will integrate and validate reagents, protocols, and instruments to support Ion Torrent product development with the objective of meeting product requirements for customer use. The candidate will apply molecular biology laboratory skills to execute Ion Torrent DNA sequencing protocols, collect and analyze the data. This position entails working with a team of experienced scientists and interaction with software and engineering teams. The abilities to meticulously document and communicate results to diverse audiences are important aspects of this role.
Clean, operate and maintain Ion Torrent sequencing instruments (PGM, Proton and S5).
Conduct pre-designed scientific or engineering experiments using laboratory equipment and calculations.
Plan the use of equipment and materials.
Assist in lab procurement, calibration or maintenance.
Make detailed observations and basic data analysis.
Maintains accurate lab notebook, & training file in accordance with Division standard.
Advise supervisor of factors that may affect quality, accuracy, timeliness and usefulness of data.
Suggest options / ideas for additional experiments.
Troubleshoot experiments with assistance from supervisor.
Contribute ideas and suggestions to improve standard laboratory techniques, improve protocols, processes and equipment.
Comply with all company safety regulations and procedures.
Report non-compliance and may serve as team lead.
With supervisor's guidance, become familiar with literature directly associated with assigned project and transmit information gathered to other members of the scientific team.
May be required to perform other related duties as required and/or assigned.
Position exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
Normally receives general instruction on routine work, detailed instruction on new assignments.
Job encounters recurring work situations with occasional variations from the norm, involving a moderate degree of complexity.
Works on problems where analysis of situation or data requires a review of identifiable factors. Accuracy is required in performing all functions of this position Mistakes in work could cause substantial interpretive errors.
Disciplined routine is needed for prompt and reliable completion of tasks.
6 months -1 year industry experience preferably in NGS field.
Experience in nucleic acid analysis including PCR amplification. Knowledge of emulsion PCR is a plus.
Basic skills in statistics.
Experience in using pH sensitive assays and instrumentation.
Excellent organizational and record keeping skills.
Ability to work independently and in coordination with a team of scientists.
Ability to multi-task and have good time management skills Should be flexible with changing plans and schedules Self-starter, highly-motivated, quick learner, strong communication skills Knowledge of emulsion PCR, experience with flow cytometer, and Python scripting skills are a plus.
B.S. in molecular biology, biochemistry or equivalent disciplines.
A little about us:
We partner with people to improve skills, teams and lives every day, and we help them achieve more than they ever thought possible.