About the company
A career at the company offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, the company colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. the company, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
the company Vaccine Immunotherapeutics seeks to discover novel vaccines (prophylactic and therapeutic) for the prevention and treatment of significant human diseases (e.g. infectious diseases, oncology) using a variety of vaccine technology platforms combined with immunomodulatory agents.
We are seeking a Virus Production/Purification Scientist to join the Protein Sciences group in Vaccine Immunotherapeutics, La Jolla, California, to develop and support virus production/purification processes at the research scale.
The successful candidate will have deep knowledge and experience in virus production and/or purification and be able to independently and proactively apply this knowledge to the design and execution of experimental work, enabling progression of vaccine discovery projects from preclinical to early development. The role will encompass both preclinical reagent supply along with early process development for clinical vaccine candidates.
The successful candidate will be required to work with BSL2 infectious viruses e.g. Vaccinia virus, adenovirus
Experience in one or more of the following areas is essential:
• Virus production at bioreactor scale
• Virus purification using chromatographic techniques - with experience using Unicorn based FPLC systems.
• Tangential flow filtration
• Dead-end filtration
• Ultracentrifugation based purification
Additional desirable skills would include:
• Virus and/ or protein characterization techniques
• Experience in safe handling of BSL2 infectious viruses - e.g. Vaccinia virus, adenovirus
The candidate will be required to work with limited supervision and, as a member of a team, be accountable for the critical appraisal of their results and present them for review, at specific project milestones. The role is laboratory based, and a major emphasis is placed upon laboratory training to increase the scope of practical abilities, as well as the theory behind such practical work
EXPERIMENTAL/LABORATORY & RELATED WORK UNDER LIMITED SUPERVISION (80-90%):
• Work with supervisor to define aim and a plan to achieve that aim, will then execute work following the plan (independently, if familiar with area of work, with guidance if unfamiliar).
• Experimental design in consultation with supervisor, literature review, and increasing emphasis on independent design based on experience.
• Will carry out on-going analysis of data generated and will identify problems. Will implement necessary changes following discussion with peers/ supervisor.
• Will analyze and interpret experimental data, results and methodology used with guidance.
• Will gain skills and experience to be fully conversant with the operation and validation of all items of equipment or IT needed for experimentation, data analysis, storage and data entry.
• Be able to review literature and suggest/apply to technical solutions to bioprocess problems of moderate complexity
• Will write-up laboratory notebooks regularly in compliance with the company IP policy and GSP
• Preparation of presentation materials.
COMMUNICATION & SCOPE OF TEAM INFLUENCE
• Will have effective communication skills, both verbal and written; listens and understands well.
• Will regularly communicate with supervisor and team scientists
• Will regularly contribute and influence at the discipline and project team level as a team participant.
SAFE WORKING AND REGULATORY COMPLIANCE
• Work safely themselves and be aware of EHS practices of other colleagues in all aspects of role, including handling of BSL2 infectious viruses.
• Completion of risk assessments, compliance training as required
• Acts independently to maintain a safe and EHS compliant desk and workspace
A BSc in in biological sciences or Biochemical/chemical engineering with 6+ years relevant laboratory experience
An MSc in biological sciences or Biochemical/chemical engineering with 5+ relevant laboratory experience
Standard laboratory conditions - sitting, standing, primarily lab based
Ability to lift up to 30 lbs
Working with BSL2 infectious viruses
Ability to perform mathematical calculations and complex data analysis
No/ infrequent travel
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
Must receive and maintain required vaccinations or provide satisfactory proof of same.
Other Information - Internal
Colleagues who are issued an Incident Final Warning (IFW) on or after January 1, 2016, are not eligible to post and compete for a position for a period of 12-months from the date an IFW is issued.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
the company is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. the company also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. the company is an E-Verify employer.
A little about us:
Join Pfizer in our mission to find sustainable solutions to the most urgent health care challenges of our time. Your service is needed.