Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Merck is currently seeking protein biochemists to work in the Biochemical Engineering and Structure group located at our Rahway, NJ site. A successful candidate with independently perform essential biochemical screening and analytical experiments. You will be joining a group of innovative scientists with broad deliverables ranging from the design of manufacturing routes for drug candidates to identifying opportunities in Merck's pipeline that will benefit from biocatalysis. We are looking for a team player that will work closely within multidisciplinary teams whose mission is to expand the use of enzymes in pharmaceutical manufacturing. The primary focus of this role is to work in the protein engineering/enzyme evolution space. Candidates must possess strong written and oral communication skills, and the ability to work effectively in a team environment. Qualifications:
- M.S. degree in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or related field OR B.S. degree in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or related field with 3 years direct and relevant industrial experience.
- Experience characterizing the biophysical properties of proteins via SDS-PAGE, Western Blot, spectrophotometric assays, and SEC-HPLC
- Experience with enzyme kinetics (Vmax, Km, product inhibition, substrate preference)
- Experience with standard analytical instrumentation such as UPLC, HPLC, LC-MS, and GC
- Good grasp of organic chemical principles and comfort with the use of organic chemicals
- Demonstrated ability to work within a collaborative multi-disciplinary team environment
- Ability to plan and conduct laboratory experiments then interpret data and propose new experimental designs
- Effectively communicate and defend own work, orally and in writing, in the context of the team goals at meetings
- Experience with automated liquid handling and running high-throughput screening assays
- Experience with molecular biology and protein expression technology
- Knowledge of statistics (e.g. average, standard deviation coefficient of variation, outlier detection, histograms, population analysis)
- Knowledge of biocatalysis and directed evolution approaches to generate improved proteins
- Strong organizational and leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to generate novel ideas and concepts
- Ability to multi-task
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement