The ideal candidate is a product development scientist with demonstrated skills in developing and/or reformulating food and beverage products from ideation through commercialization. Perform product development projects from their initiation to their completion in support of the Monster energy business. This position will require a focus on customer relationship as it relates to product development briefs and product development delivery. Must be able to lead small group of lab based product developers. A variety of scientific backgrounds are acceptable including but not limited to Food Science, Food Technology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Agricultural Sciences, and Biology. The primary job responsibility is the planning and managing of ingredient and product development projects for Monster energy brands globally. The candidate must have a solid technical background with experience /exposure outside of academia, creative bench skills, the ability to manage projects from concept to execution, understand consumer research, and be able to work collaboratively across functions (technical and non-technical). Project activities are related to product development innovation, brand maintenance and evaluation of new technologies, all requiring a high level of attention to detail. Key internal interactions will be with Ingredient Quality, Commercial Product Supply, Regulatory Affairs, Formula Governance, Technical Consumer Research, and field based technical, marketing, and commercialization teams. Key external interactions are primarily collaborating with the customer, Monster and required ingredient suppliers.
• Protect the Company and Monster information against unauthorized disclosure, eavesdropping and legal exposure.
• Design, develop, conduct and/or review experiments (e.g., laboratory or process experiments) in order to deliver new products; evaluate ingredient, product or packaging safety, efficacy or claims; or evaluate new ingredients, materials, products or processes.
• Record data from analyses or experiments in a computer, log book or laboratory notebook.
• Write detailed & accurate reports for analyses, experiments or projects (e.g., equipment validation, evaluation of new processes). Communicate clearly in email and verbally with technical, non-technical, domestic, and international audiences.
• Prepare samples and sampling plan for ingredients, intermediate or finished products, or other materials in order to perform analyses (e.g., chemical, physical, sensory, microbiological).
• Gather and organize information under tight timelines to support senior management's decision-making.
• Apply knowledge of sensory and consumer testing techniques and principles to influence consumer test design and collaborate intelligently with sensory team.
• Identify, select, authorize and/or manage relationships with vendors or suppliers to ensure proper capabilities, conformance with Company standards and appropriate products and services (e.g., ingredients, materials, testing services).
• Protect information provided in confidence from outside sources (bottlers and other business partners) and ensure this information is not disseminated to those not directly involved.
• Develop quality standards, specifications or requirements (e.g., concentrate/beverage base, ingredients, packaging, beverage, processes, and new technology) in order to ensure quality and integrity of products, and to protect the trademarks of the Coca-Cola Company.
• Manage documentation and records in order to ensure that they are complete, current, secure and easily retrievable. This may include designing, organizing or maintaining technical or regulatory records (e.g., paper formula files) and reports.
• Provide support to Monster to identify, manage or resolve incidents (e.g., critical emergencies, product withdrawals/recalls, disasters, potential business threats) in order to maintain the integrity of our products and trademarks and to minimize interruptions to Company or customer operations.
• Conduct review of scientific or other literature in order to maintain and improve laboratory knowledge/skills.
• Use and maintain laboratory equipment and instrumentation (e.g., troubleshooting, conducting preventative maintenance, calibrating and repairing).
JOB REQUIREMENTS :
PhD with 4+ years related work experience
Master's Degree with 7+ years related work experience
Bachelor's with 10+ years related work experience
• Product Development: Deep knowledge and practical application of the product development process. Flexible and creative development skills with a strong attention to detail.
• Project Management: Knowledge of project management principles and the ability to apply the principles, tools and techniques to develop/plan, manage or execute projects or work plans to ensure successful completion (e.g., on time, within budget).
• Building Technical Relationships: Ability to apply technical knowledge and establish credibility with highly technical audiences in order to build technical relationships that will benefit customers or the Company.
• Ingredients: Knowledge of and experience with key ingredients used in production of concentrates and beverage bases (e.g., caramel, citric acid, sodium benzoate, phosphoric acid, natural flavors).
• Beverage Manufacturing: Knowledge of and ability to apply carbonated and non-carbonated beverage processing techniques (e.g., proportioning, carbonating, syrup manufacturing, filling).
• Basic Flavor Chemistry: General knowledge of the organic chemistry of essential oils and other flavor compounds relevant to Company products.
• Flavor Industry Knowledge: Knowledge of flavoring materials, the flavor industry and the trade organizations that represent them.
• Computer Skills: Knowledge of Microsoft suite of programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), formula/database type systems, and capable user.
• Basic Organic Chemistry: Knowledge of basic organic structures, reactions, functional groups and properties needed to understand the reactions of organic compounds in Company products. This includes the understanding of moderately complex principles in order to problem-solve package or ingredient related issues.
• Endurance: Willingness and ability to occasionally function effectively over extended periods of time. Ability to be flexible and adjust priorities based on business needs.
• Internet: Knowledge of Internet search techniques used to find required information (e.g., technical facts) and monitor sites of interest to the department.
• Laboratory Practices: Knowledge and application of Good Laboratory Practices (e.g., handling of chemicals and glassware, preparation of standards and reagents, proper measuring techniques, data management, housekeeping).
• Proprietary Composition Information: Ability to recognize and protect proprietary information as it relates to formulas and ingredients.
• DRIVE INNOVATION: Generate new or unique solutions and embrace new ideas that help sustain our business (encompassing everything from continuous improvement to new product and package innovation).
• COLLABORATE WITH SYSTEM, CUSTOMERS, AND OTHER STAKEHOLDERS: Develop and leverage relationship with Monster to appropriately stretch and impact the benefit to the TCCC System (Company and Bottler).
• ACT LIKE AN OWNER: Deliver results, creating value for our brands, our System, our customers and key stakeholders.
• INSPIRE OTHERS: Inspire people to deliver the customer requirements, demonstrate passion for the business and give people a reason to believe anything is possible.
• DEVELOP SELF AND OTHERS: Develop self and support others' development to achieve full potential.
Honesty and integrity have always been cornerstone values of The Coca-Cola Company. Our passion for people of integrity mirrors our spirited drive for total quality in our brands. These and other elements allow the company to sustain strategic practices and drive business performance. The Personnel Integrity Assurance Program is another step toward making The Coca-Cola Company the premier workplace. This process includes a pre-employment background investigation that applies to all applicants employees and contractors of the company. The scope of this inquiry may cover such elements as education employment history a criminal history check reference checks and a pre-employment drug screen. Designated countries or sensitive positions within the company may have more stringent standards.
At The Coca-Cola Company you can cultivate your career in a challenging and dynamic environment. We are the largest manufacturer and distributor of nonalcoholic drinks in the world-selling more than 1 billion drinks a day. Unlock your full potential with a future-focused company that is known and respected throughout the world.
Relocation costs are not provided for this job. By applying for this job, candidates understand and acknowledge that the Company will not provide relocation assistance or support and that relocation will be entirely the responsibility of the candidate.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Back to top
A little about us:
Coca-Cola’s success would not be possible without the world’s best employees. We invite you to challenge yourself, join us and prosper.