Cummins is a place big enough to coach and develop a global workforce and create the world's leading clean, engine technology. We're also small enough for you to find your fit and personal passion with a team of dependable, innovative thinkers who are developing their careers within a diverse, inclusive, empowering environment.
Learn more about this role and how you can begin Working Right .
Our Power Systems Business Unit delivers reliable, durable, high performing products to our global partners. Working in an innovative space, you'll develop high tech solutions that will fuel your advanced career skill set and empower you to own your career. Our integrated businesses demand the talents and creativity of individuals with a wide range of skills and experience.
This is an exciting opportunity in Columbus, IN for a SCR Performance Subject Matter Expert. Cummins is where you can work on industry leading engineering projects such as New Product Development, Value Package Introduction and Systems Product Validation.
Your impact will happen in these and other ways:
- Applies highly specialized knowledge of engineering principles and practices to assigned areas and projects in one or more of the following areas: combustion/performance/emissions, cool/lube/fuel systems, air handling, system integration, after treatment integration, cycle simulation, vehicle system simulation, combustion system simulation, flow simulation, filtration, or after treatment simulation.
- Leads large or multiple engineering projects.
- Performs as the local technical expert for one or more engineering specialties.
Solves complex problems impacting multiple projects.
- Communicates with and influences key external stakeholders and business leaders.
- Drives and manages system level requirements for projects or programs.
- Makes critical project or product related decisions. Collaborates with industry peers within their discipline. Advances the state of the practice for the technical discipline.
- Sets strategic direction for a program or technical discipline.
- Advises and transfers knowledge of engineering discipline; coaches and mentors less experienced engineers.
- Advises leaders regarding the identification and resolution of complex problems.
Fundamentals of thermal and fluid sciences, and/or physical chemistry - Highly specialized knowledge in the areas of thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, combustion, and/or physical chemistry. This knowledge includes both analytical and experimental applications. Ability to apply this knowledge to areas such as engines, after treatment systems, fuel systems, air handling systems, power generation and filtration systems.
Energy conversion systems knowledge - Very strong energy conversion systems knowledge. Energy conversion systems knowledge includes an understanding of the working principles of power generation, including engines and systems related to engines, such as after treatment systems, air handling systems, fuel systems, and filtration systems.
Thermal and fluid science specialty of interest - Highly specialized knowledge in a specialty of interest in the areas of thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, combustion, and/or physical chemistry. This area is a very broad, requiring focus on a subset within thermal and fluid sciences, with more detailed knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to the specific area of interest.
Technical leadership skills - Strong technical leadership skills including the ability to lead teams and/or projects that focus on TSFE. Ability to make sound database decisions.
Communication and teamwork skills - Cooperates with others, fully contributes to achieve the team goal. Will share any needed information with the team. Education, Licenses, Certifications
Masters of Science, preferred
Bachelor of Science, or equivalent technical degree required. Experience
8 to 10 years relevant work experience required, including leadership of small projects or portions of large projects.
Compensation and Benefits
- Provide functional guidance and oversight to new product development and current product support to System Performance Integrations teams
- Own and improve the ESW and FEP's related to SCR Performance Development
- Provide technical guidance and consultation on Engine Performance to teams resolving critical technical issues
- Support Six Sigma processes and principles and commitment to ensuring quality in all work done within the Subject Matter
- Ability to couple experimental results with analysis, focus on analysis led design approach
- Strong engineering background with emphasis in Thermal Sciences
- Ability to work effectively in cross-functional technical teams including interfacing with the Diagnostics and Controls teams.
- Ability to work with others with diverse background and personalities in a team environment
- Travel up to 20%, including international
Salary commensurate with experience plus bonus. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits. Cummins and E-verify
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Ready to think beyond your desk? Apply for this opportunity to start your career with Cummins today. careers.cummins.com
Not ready to apply but want to learn more? Join our Talent Community to get the inside track on great jobs and confidentially connect to our recruiting team: http://connect.find.ly/cummins
No, this isn't one of those ordinary jobs.