Seed Quality Lab Technician North America Quality Control Waterman, IL
We are currently seeking several Lab Technicians
to support our North America Quality Control (QC) team which is part of the supply chain organization at our site in Waterman, IL (suburb of Chicago).
This position is responsible for the timely, accurate preparation, evaluation, recording, and posting of germination, vigor and other quality tests. The position will assist in training new employees/contractors, and in the maintenance of laboratory quality management systems. Position will be responsible for managing special tasks or processes within the lab and communicating updates to manager. Responsibilities include :
- Timely and accurate evaluation, and data management, of seed analysis data.
- Assist in the day to day coordination of lab tasks. Ability to plan, support and allocate routine workflow to other team members and contract employees.
- Apply scientific methods and techniques for analysis as directed by protocols and work instructions to deliver quality results; which may include preparation of reagents, media, controls and sample preparation.
- Ability to independently and proactively identify opportunities to assist in improving established procedures, lab processes and controls, and lead troubleshooting activities through root cause analysis techniques.
- Assists in research and development projects including: validation of lab and IT changes, method/documentation, and implementation of technical protocols/work instructions.
- Assist in the maintenance of the Quality Management System (QMS) within the seed lab.
- Work independently within a team environment to ensure all testing is conducted according to Monsanto ESH policies, laboratory protocols, and regulatory agencies.
- Record metrics such as key process indicators (KPIs) and temperature monitoring charts.
- Utilize and improve laboratory automation platforms.
- Ensure equipment maintenance according to QMS requirements.
- Alert site management of issues or discrepancies involving sample integrity, supply inventory, safety concerns, or analysis irregularities.
- Provide support on training of lab protocols to contract labor and other personnel.
- Maintain reagents and consumables at required inventory levels.
- Perform user acceptance testing for all IT/SAP/LIMS system changes.
- Responsible for managing compliance with prescribed Environmental Safety and Health (ESH) rules, practices, and guidelines.
- Responsible for ongoing ESH systems oversight and management regarding, but not limited to:
o Auditing (Internal)
o Training and competency
o Preventive / corrective measures, strategy and implementation
o Trending / risk analysis and mitigation
- Influence others in a manner that achieves results and builds a culture of safety and quality.
Monsanto is one of the largest companies in the world dedicated to the development, growth and marketing of Agriculture seeds. We strive to develop hybrids that improve nutrition, boost crop yields, limit spoilage, optimize water & climate variables and reduce the need for chemicals and other inputs. We are committed to consistently introducing innovative products for our customers. It's amazing to consider that improving human health, promoting environmental stewardship and fostering greater economic growth for the agricultural community can all start with something as small as a seed. Education, Training and/or Experience Requirements
Qualifications - Preferred
- High school diploma (or equivalent) required.
- BA/BS in sciences (agronomy, biology, genetics, biochemistry, microbiology or similar area) highly preferred.
- 2+ years of experience in a laboratory environment.
- Able to critically analyze data and identify trends.
- Ability to think broadly and in terms of risk and impact.
- Experience operating, maintaining, and calibrating laboratory equipment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to work as a team member and effectively communicate within a multicultural environment.
- Detailed oriented with the ability to multitask in a high throughput environment.
- This position may require a change in shifts as well as weekend and overtime work as required.
- Experience with databases, LIMS, and SAP.
- Experience operating, maintaining, and calibrating laboratory equipment.
- Lean/Six Sigma experience.
- GLP, GMP, ISO/QMS, documentation auditing experience.
- Familiarity with AOSA/ISTA seed testing rules.
A little about us:
At Monsanto, we believe that diverse perspectives solve big challenges and deliver a broad range of solutions to help nourish our growing world.