At Monsanto, we're committed to helping the world's farmers produce more while using fewer resources. Achieving this goal requires innovation and new technology to re-imagine agriculture. Driving a world class R&D program requires strong sustainable processes. In this role, the candidate will need to utilize problem solving, analytical skills and networking to learn and improve the processes of managing seed production for research.
The global Breeding Seed Production Optimization Team works across many functions within Monsanto's R&D organization to standardize and streamline our processes globally. Seed Production encompasses many nursery activities including planning, processing and field operations that intend to produce new seed for research purposes.
Co-op candidates will have the opportunity to interact with many stakeholders within Monsanto which will include breeding, field operations, logistics, analytics, and IT. The candidate will conduct a project requiring them to learn our breeding processes, develop ideas, implement improvements and communicate results of the project. Project opportunities will focus on process streamlining to gain efficiencies in cost, quality and time by applying analytical models and principles. This role requires a six (6) month commitment.
Please apply only if you are certain of your willingness and ability to commit to the full duration of the assignment for Fall (June-Dec of 2018). Required Skills/Experience:
- Current enrollment in a MS or PhD program in an analytical discipline -- Statistics, Operations Research, Mathematics, Statistical Genetics, Data Science, Computer Science or a related field
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of operations research and/or mathematical optimization concepts
- Demonstrated computational skills and experience with R, Python, MATLAB, Java, C++ or other programming packages
- Detail and results-orientation with the ability to work independently
- Business aptitude, the ability to rapidly learn new problem domains and become conversant in the domain with subject matter experts
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and proven problem solving abilities
- Ability to communicate complex ideas in a clear, precise and actionable manner
- Knowledge of genetics, plant breeding, agriculture and/or biotechnology
- Experience with solving analytical problems involving big data sets
A little about us:
At Monsanto, we believe that diverse perspectives solve big challenges and deliver a broad range of solutions to help nourish our growing world.