Why Work at Dell?
Endless challenges and rewards. Opportunities on six continents. A team of colleagues fueled by collaboration. All this, and a company deeply committed to integrity and responsibility.
As a part of ESD CI Engineering team you will be responsible for working collaboratively with a variety of people across Engineering, QA, SW, Automation, Manufacturing and Global Services to evaluate new Platform feature requests & designs by Product Management and the Architects, determine the effort required to implement, and finally to design & develop the detailed configuration standards and implementation documentation.
The ESD CI Engineering team develops Converged Infrastructure (CI) Platforms, Tech Extensions and Data Protection Solutions designed for enterprise data centers and service providers, providing our customers the ultimate flexibility and scalability to meet their business needs.
As a CI engineer within the team you will work closely with the Architect, other CI Engineers, and your peers in other Engineering teams, QA, Global Services, and Manufacturing to develop new Converged Infrastructure (CI) Platforms Systems or update the current Converged Infrastructure (CI) Platform models to address new functional requirements. You will work closely with the Architects and other Engineers to develop, validate and document a product design that encompasses a sound strategy based on existing proven CPSD designs wherever possible and using best-of-breed parent company products. Your optimized designs will use common hardware, physical composition, and logical configurations where possible to provide a Converged Infrastructure (CI) Platform look-and-feel to all solutions marketed by Dell EMC CPSD. Responsibilities:
Configuration documentation, bill of materials (BoM), rules & configuration tool user stories: Work with other members of Engineering to determine the proper solution for the feature requests:
Determine components that need to be added to the parts database based on the new design
Add the proper parts and parts hierarchies to the database through the change request (ECO) process.
Provide a complete and validated bill of materials (BoM) for the new or revised platform
Develop detailed physical configuration rules for use in defining the configuration tool logic and user interface.
Develop configuration and ordering user stories for submission with the ECO and rules as a complete change request to effect changes to existing Converged Infrastructure (CI) Platform and to initiate new designs as part of the product introduction process.
Physical build guide (PBG) and logical build guide (LBG): Work with the Architects, Platform Owner, SMEs and other platform engineers to create new or modify the current Converged Infrastructure (CI) Platform implementation documentation and procedures to address the requirements of new or changed features.
Physical build specifications including build guide and sample rack elevations, port maps & cable matrices
Logical build and automation specifications including any design impacts on component configurations and virtualization software
Parts Database & Configuration Tool Validation - Work with the ECO, Mfg PMO and ACT teams to ensure the integrity of the parts database system and new ACT tool revisions.
Perform database validation on newly added parts and SKUs
Periodically assist in scrubbing the database for parts and SKUs that do not conform to Platform Engineering defined standards
Validate new ACT/XACT releases before they are rolled into production to ensure that changes comply with the Engineering intentions of the change request.
Skills & Knowledge:
- 5-10+ years of experience in technology related roles; expertise in compute/networking
- Experience in a product engineering, service provider environment, or consultative role related to private cloud or converged infrastructure projects
- Deep knowledge of one or more of the following: data center architectures, cloud computing technologies, converged infrastructure consolidation, networking, security, business continuity, disaster recovery and service orchestration
- Strong hands-on experience in one or more of the following technologies. A broad spectrum of experience is highly desired, with a deep specialization in one or more:
- Dell EMC Unity and VMAX storage technologies
- Compute blade and rack-mount servers
- Cisco MDS switches
- L2 and L3 Enterprise Network switches
- Ethernet, Fiber Channel, and NFS/CIFS networking experience
- VPLEX, RecoverPoint, Avamar and Data Domain
- Hands-on experience with VMware vSphere 6.x and/or Enterprise Networking is desirable.
- Strong experience with competitive converged infrastructure stacks can replace some of the requirements above
- Bachelors (CS/EE/Technology) or equivalent workplace experience
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Decisive but inclusive decision making in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team with light supervision
- Able to prioritize tasks and work collaboratively with various stakeholders
- Enjoy working hands-on in a lab environment to conduct system installation, configuration and design validation
is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Learn more about Diversity and Inclusion at Dell here .
Job Family: Professional Services
Job ID: R18004
Dell is a collective of customer-focused, industry-leading visionaries. At our core is a commitment to diversity, sustainability and our communities.