McLean 1 (19050), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
Senior AML Compliance Director - Retail Bank AML Advisory
Title: Senior AML Compliance Director – Retail Bank AML Advisory
Level: Senior Director
Capital One is a diversified bank that offers a broad array of financial products and services to consumers, and retail clients. Ranked #127 on the Fortune 500, Capital One is one of the nation’s top 10 banks and has one of the most widely recognized brands in America. We nurture a work environment where people with a variety of thoughts, ideas and backgrounds, guided by our shared Values, come together to make Capital One a great company and a great place to work.
The AML Group is a core risk function within Capital One’s Corporate Compliance Department. Led by the Chief AML & OFAC Officer, who reports to the Chief Compliance Officer. The AML Group is responsible for the company’s money laundering and economic sanctions risk management programs.
The Senior AML Compliance Director is responsible for managing and evolving Retail Bank’s Anti-Money Laundering Compliance Program.
The role holder is responsible for assessing and helping ensure the sufficiency and consistency of Retail Bank AML risk management practices and internal controls, as reflected in written procedures and business practices. This is accomplished by conducting assessments, targeted reviews, and ad hoc assignments that help management identify, mitigate, and escalate emerging financial crime issues.
Key specific accountabilities.
The role will be responsible for analyzing and advising on the risk presented by high risk customers, analyzing and advising on complex structures for individual and institutional customers, advising operations regarding customer documentation and verification, working with the Financial Intelligence Unit regarding Retail Bank business related investigations, and advising the Retail Bank business on appropriate actions with respect to new and existing clients, product/services, and other business initiatives.
Stakeholder management and leadership.
- Initiate early engagement with key stakeholders to ensure effective partnership with the business which includes openness to giving and receiving challenge at all levels.
- Influence compliance and business management’s thinking around AML risk and relevant operations designed to such risk.
- Provide guidance to the business where collective action (where controls are allocated appropriately between first and second lines of defense) result in a stronger risk and control environment.
- Advise compliance management on potential client risk by utilizing on-demand due diligence research and analysis of information obtained from media and other sources.
- Prepare recommendations to compliance and business management outlining any potential risks uncovered in the research.
- Leads by example, appreciates their role in providing guidance and education and training to others.
- Able to clearly navigate and articulate the importance of the AML control environment to the business.
- Able to educate colleagues and skillfully provide simple explanations, real world case studies and is able to effectively present/ facilitate AML training if required.
- Embraces change, sponsors improvements and is empowered to raise concerns and suggest improvements/mitigants. Constructively looks to support continuous AML control environment improvements.
Decision making and problem solving.
- Able to understand changing AML landscape and can apply those changes at Capital One, knowing the business and products, mindful of AML risk typologies and the impact of decisions on customers, business relationships and US and global economies.
- The ‘go-to’ AML person to support Retail Bank operations management and ensure sustainable success through partnership approach and gives management confidence in its decisions.
- Able to understand the issue in context by taking a holistic view, (identifying other potential AML risks and escalating them as appropriate), analyze and recommend steps for mitigation or redress. Looks at data trends and analyses whether the business is equipped to mitigate the risk effectively, taking appropriate oversight to ensure fist line corrective action or escalation.
- Demonstrates strong Retail Bank awareness in dealing with the business, able to articulate AML risks to develop individuals’ capacity, as well as collective understanding, however, will stand up for what is right and explain the rationale with patience so that the concept is embedded at individual or team level. Mindful that there is required emphasis on how we do business, which needs to be balanced with how much business we do.
-Bachelor's degree or military experience
-At least 10 years of AML experience
-12 years of Sanctions experience
-5 years’ financial services experience
-3 years of experience in implementing a Sanctions operations unit
-3 years of experience in managing a Sanctions operations unit
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.