The Knowledge and Relevance in Substrate (KRIS) team in AI&R is looking for a talented senior applied scientist (we will consider experienced Applied Science II as well). The team is aiming at making Office 365, Microsoft’s productivity service, more intelligent and personal. Working closely with the Office team, we would apply machine learning and natural language processing technology developed with the big data from Bing to Office, and empower its users to achieve more. We adapt the Bing search relevance technology to understand users’ intent and help them finding the messages, documents and entities effortlessly; We apply the latest machine reading technology to automatically construct knowledge graph from users’ documents, appointments and email messages; we work with Microsoft Research to host the knowledge in a cutting-edge graph serving platform to enable new experiences. There are many challenges in this endeavor, in which we must achieve the goal compliantly, respecting users’ and their organization’s privacy and confidentiality. This requires us to be more creative in the design of machine learning solutions, including unsupervised, semi-supervised and transfer learning.
Our team brings together talent in the areas of machine learning, natural language processing, software engineering, and trustworthy computing. Together we develop and deliver robust, natural and scalable solutions across a rich set of scenarios.
We are looking for an applied scientist with strong machine learning and/or natural language background. The responsibilities include:
• Evaluating existing technologies and/or creating new machine learning and data mining algorithms, designing and executing offline/online experiments. More specifically, developing the ML algorithm without looking at users’ data or leaking the sensitive information among users and tenants.
• Working with other scientists, engineers and UX experts on the detailed design and implementation of end-to-end solutions, including data-pipeline for machine learning, deployments, performance monitoring and analysis, and continual refinement via feedback loop.
• Being vigilant about technology trends and scientific developments in relevant areas inside and outside of the company, including attending academic and industrial conferences.
Required qualifications for this position include:
• 3+ years of machine learning/NLP experience.
3+ years experience working in software engineering
• Master degree or above in CS/EE.
• Effective communication skills, both verbal and written, and great team work skills
• A passion for improving end user experience & productivity. Value users experience and productivity more than technology per se
• Ph.D. is strongly preferred
• Experience in large scale data mining and cloud computing
• Familiarity with map reduce framework, and parallel/distributed processing such as Hadoop/Spark/Dryad/Scope
• Familiarity with deep/recurrent neural network and related technologies
• Familiarity with relevance ranking
• Familiarity with knowledge mining/entity-relation extraction XXOIRecruitXX
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.