As a Senior Architect you will be accountable for the maintenance and currency of the Strategic and Solution architecture landscape for the defined capability areas within Operations IT. You will work closely with the Capabilities to define and maintain the capability strategy and application roadmaps, and Programme Leads and Service Managers to ensure that project and enhancement solutions are architected to AZ standards and in line with the current Operations IT Strategy.Function overview
- You will contribute to the development of architecture strategy and solutions for defined business areas (e.g. Supply Chain, Manufacturing, Quality, Global External Sourcing (GES), Procurement Distribution, SAP & BI) working with the respective capability leads (Global Factory Operations & Global Supply Chain).
- The creation and maintenance of appropriate blueprints, models and materials to describe and communicate the strategy and system landscape to further their exploitation and optimisation.
- Undertake supplier evaluation and selection exercises in support of new requirements.
- Seek and identify innovation opportunities to enhance existing and deliver new capabilities in support of the Operations 2020 Strategy.
- Support the development of business cases.
- Define the solution architecture and ensure alignment to global standards.
You will spend your time split between strategy, project and services and is accountable for the successful delivery of project architectures, ensuring their smooth project delivery and transition into service, and acting as the Technical Subject Matter Expert (SME) for the solution and/or enhancement in its maintenance phase.
You will partner closely with the Programme/Project Manager to ensure requirements are clearly understood, and translates these requirements into technical components that meet the business intent.
You will actively develop the solution or enhancement yoursaelf, or ensure that the technical efforts of other developers will meet the need. The Senior Solution Architect also partners closely with the Service Manager(s), acting as a technical SME to address problems and incidents in a set of applications aligned to a business domain or process, and in evaluating the technical impact of proposed changes or enhancements to applications in that set.Primary Focus & Challenge
- Understanding the business landscape and strategy in order to define a robust future sustainable application/system strategy.
- Accountable for the technical design, development and documentation of solutions that meet business requirements based on architecture standards, roadmaps and blueprints for one or more architecture focus areas. The role will understand implications of architecture requirements to 'As-Is' architectures and define/update 'To-Be' architectures applying AZ architecture guiding principles.
Develop and configure solutions as required from conceptualisation through to stabilisation using various computer platforms.
- Lead solution development efforts originating from portfolios, participate in IT initiatives and provide active guidance for better planning and decision making.
- Ensure that all projects are delivered according to the architecture best practices and applicable standards, with an eye towards reuse. The Architect is responsible for contributing to the definition of the future state of the information platforms aligned to the customer needs.
- The role holder will perform architecture activities required to deliver new solutions or to maintain existing systems and services. The architect is responsible for operating a lean architectural governance approach to oversight of delivery of architecture artefacts to customer.
- Support implementation of solutions by analysing current system environments and infrastructures, and develop implementation plan and verification procedures and ensure their execution to deliver successful installation of systems hardware/software.
- Deliver enhancements to applications in the estate of applications. Responsible for reviewing the current architecture, technical design, code and performance of the applications within the capability and agreeing mitigation actions with the Operations Service Manager and where appropriate with the IT Capability Lead.
- Engage in maintenance and support activities being performed, as well as routine analysis and evaluation on resource requirements necessary to maintain and/or expand service level.
- Ensure the data in relation to Operations IT systems are current and maintained within the Configuration Management Database (ServiceNow).
Work collaboratively with:
1. Capability area to oversee internal and external assurance activities, deliver the architecture and technical design of comprehensive solutions according to Domain standards and strategic direction, develop an in-depth understanding of business priorities and early insight into changing needs in order to inform and shape demand related to application estate, provide subject matter expertise that could influence domain roadmaps and help realize cost effective and reusable architecture components.
2. AstraZeneca IT architecture governance structure to represent and advocate for the solution requirements and any needed exceptions, in some cases on behalf of the customer.
3. Other IT organisations to input into development opportunities and feasibility of innovation opportunities.
4. Third party suppliers to guide and support development and documentation of technical architectures for complex and business critical projects (when agreed that the effort will be outsourced), and to seamlessly deliver end-to-end services.
5. Other architects and engineers, providing steer in the technical design and development of solutions that they may be building under the oversight and direction of the Senior Architect.
Required Skills & Knowledge
- Use technical knowledge and understanding of customer business area direction and priorities to drive innovative solutions to issues and challenges faced by the customer area.
- Work in partnership with Service Managers to develop and deliver Application Estate Lifecycle, assuring that portfolios are aligned to IT roadmaps.
- Provide subject matter expertise to ensure business opportunities are identified and realised.
- Create estimates for solution delivery including expertise to validate third party estimates and hence ensure value for money. Review Statement of Work responses from suppliers.
- Accountable for conducting performance analysis and documenting solution components.
- Participate in development of test plans for solutions developed in-house (including functionality, integrity and stress testing; test matrix; and definition of test methodologies and strategy).
- Drive the development of application estate alignment plans to architecture and engineering standards, roadmaps and blueprints for one or more architecture focus areas or business domains.
- Deliver feedback to wider AZ architect community on how to improve Architecture Standards.
- Document best practices, drive re-use of existing solutions and in cooperation with other architects promote new solutions for reuse.
- Participate in solution evaluation and selection decisions; buy vs. build decisions, and early-phase project estimates which contribute to the creation of business case.
- Participate in architecture assessments & reviews either as Lead Reviewing Architect or as a subject matter expert in the review team.
- Contribute to the development of the Architecture Capability within IT, by documenting and sharing knowledge and best practices with peer architects.
- Identify new hardware/software technologies to fit specialised business needs and configurations to meet project demand.
As a Senior Architect you will have:
- Technical or business degree, Masters degree preferred.
- Proven skills and experience solutioning large projects.
- Demonstrated understanding of quality and compliance.
- Demonstrated experience across a variety of capabilities i.e. BI & Information (Master Data), Supply Chain and Distribution, Procurement, Manufacturing, Factory Operations or Quality.
- Knowledge of a variety of applications such as Empower, SmartLab, LIMS, Trackwise and Global Moda.
- An understanding of Manufacturing Processes, internet of things (IoT) and Connected Manufacturing would be desirable.
Apply now to learn more about this exciting opportunity with a world renowned pharmaceutical brand!
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.