New York Life Insurance Company (“New York Life”) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, and is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. At year end 2013 New York Life had a total surplus of $21.141 billion and holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody’s Aaa ; Standard & Poor’s AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 6/18/14)
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company’s decisions and actions for nearly 170 years.
The Senior Associate for is a key member of the Finance department responsible for ensuring the business is operating in a controlled environment and in accordance with prescribed accounting policies. This position will also coordinate all audits for NYL Direct. This role involves close coordination with the broader finance community within NYL, as well as business partnering within NYL Direct.
• Facilitate and perform SOX and internal control documentation and testing to ensure compliance, working with operational areas to ensure performance of controls and enhancements when necessary
• Perform financial statement review and trend analysis
• Review and approve journal entries
• Assist in reviewing new and revised accounting policies for impact on NYL Direct’s businesses, and working with the operation to understand and implement changes whenever necessary
• Perform recurring and ad hoc special projects that need a strong financial / internal control perspective
• Bachelors Degree in Accounting required, advanced education preferred (CPA, MBA)
• Minimum 3 year’s related experience required, public accounting experience preferred
• Demonstrates a strong understanding of internal controls and technical accounting
• Responsible for understanding NYL Directs business to ensure that proper controls are in place and how various accounting pronouncements impact the business.
• Demonstrate the ability to build relationships and reach across the organization.
• Superior communication and business writing skills with proven track record demonstrating ability to multi-task, organize work and projects across both short and long time-spans
• Considerable decision-making given controls and accounting policy impact multiple areas which will require interacting with several functional areas and key management staff, and work could be presented to senior level management
• Strong and effective communication skills, both written and verbal; ability to present to senior leaders, as well as peers, in a clear manner, fostering dialogue and helping to drive decisions; ability to communicate technical, financial concepts in an easy to understand way
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.