Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you'll find yourself in the company of some of the industry's smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
Senior IT Sox Associate Job Description
Discover's Finance team has an opening in the SOX PMO organization for a Senior Associate which is a great entry point to one of the Best Places to Work, in a Finance organization that promotes rotational opportunities. This individual will be part of a team that assists with the administration of the SOX program from scoping to testing and final reporting. This position will work with a variety of process and control owners cross functionally, throughout the business, on the ongoing design and testing of internal controls over financial reporting. The position will also work with the external audit teams to coordinate their SOX audit activities.
Core competencies of the successful candidate include the following:
- Ability to focus on several moderately complex business activities.
- Demonstrate subject matter expertise by advancing more technical concepts unique to role, problem-solving and analysis.
- Regularly engaged with business partners or auditors to facilitate understanding of transactions and activities.
- Assess the design and operating effectiveness of the control environment over the areas of responsibility.
- Requires moderate degree of judgement for the appropriate application of Corporate Policy, GAAP, Regulation or established framework.
- Regularly makes evaluations of facts and circumstances and is able to effectively communicate conclusions and recommendations for remediation or process improvements.
- Able to advance responsibilities and/or priorities largely independent of management oversight.
Major Job Responsibilities:
- Execute annual planning of the company's SOX compliance efforts (e.g., risk assessment, materiality, significant accounts disclosures, establish milestones of key SOX activities, etc.).
- Coordinate with the Business Process Owners to ensure that documentation and remediation efforts are completed as well as education and training for stakeholders.
- Execute design and operating effectiveness testing the SOX audit.
- Coordinate with the external auditors for the audit of the company's internal controls over financial reporting.
- Assess and test entity level controls using the COSO 2013 framework.
- Evaluate control deficiencies, develop remediation plans and analyze impacts to financial statements.
- Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
- 2-3 years of related accounting or internal audit experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Technology or related field
- Strong written and oral communication, problem solving, and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with and influence diverse internal customer base and varying levels of management
- Ability and desire to work in a fast paced, demanding and rapidly changing environment
- Strong analytical skills and understanding of internal control concepts
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team
- Knowledge of Excel, PowerPoint and Visio
- Including at least 1-2 years in either public accounting, internal audit or SOX compliance
- CPA, CIA, CISA, CRMA or other risk and control certifications
- Experience with COSO/COBIT internal controls frameworks and SOX compliance
- Public accounting or a major financial/banking institution experience
- Understanding of both operational and IT processes and Information Security risks and controls (e.g. access controls, segregation of duties issues, ITGC change management controls, application controls, interface controls)
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.