Big Data Engineer - Data Services
Company: Penske Truck Leasing
Location: Reading, Pennsylvania
Posted: April 21, 2016
Reference ID: 1603442
As the Big Data Engineer in Penske IT, you'll be in a high-impact role. You will be leading architecture, design and development of Data Services for Penske's Connected Fleet Solutions program. Working closely with an internal team of highly skilled technical resources and external partners, you will assist in expanding, deploying and leveraging Penske's Big Data platform. The Big Data Engineer will be building and maintaining next generation of Big Data / IoT solutions, associated applications, and data services. This is a critical role as you will have the opportunity to make an impact using varied technologies, cloud services, and platforms, including the AWS. In this role, you will be working closely with data engineers, architects, and products development team.
Our beautiful Corporate Campus is conveniently located 7 miles South of Reading, PA. Relocation assistance may be considered for qualified candidates !
- Drive architecture of data services built on top of Penske's big data platform and other data sources.
- Design and implement scalable Data-as-a-Service(Daas) solutions for various application needs. This includes conceptualization, storyboarding, documentation of use cases, platform selection, information architecture, service design, development, testing, and deployment of the proposed solution.
- Analyze multiple sources of structured and unstructured data to propose and design data service solutions for scalability, high availability and fault tolerance.
- Develop conceptual, logical and physical design for various data types and large volumes.
- Clearly articulate the pros and cons of various technologies and architectural options.
- Implement security, encryption best practices for Data services.
- Architect, design and implement high performance large volume data integration processes and other back-end services.
- Work closely with internal customers, vendors and partners at a technical and user level, to design and produce solutions.
- Develop expertise in the machine data coming out of Penske's fleet of trucks, onboard devices and other IoT sub-systems.
- Other projects as assigned by the supervisor
- 5-7 years of experience as a technology leader designing and developing data services.
- 2 years of experience in designing and developing high-volume mission critical data integration solutions in big data environment.
- 2 years of hands-on technical experience in working with big data architectures, including Hadoop, Map/Reduce or other big data frameworks.
- Expertise in programming languages like Java and Python.
- Experience with implementing data services in the cloud. Experience with one of the large cloud-computing infrastructure solutions like Amazon Web Services
- Deep expertise in developing and supporting data services using Spring Framework and RESTful API.
- Broad understanding and experience of real-time analytics, NOSQL technologies(e.g. Gemfire, Hbase, Cassandra, MongoDB), data modelling, data management, and analytical tools (e.g. SAS, R ).
- Fluency / expertise in the following are preferred:
-Pivotal Big Data Suite - Greenplum, Gemfire, Spring XD and Rabbit MQ
-Environments: Amazon Web Services, Cloud Foundry
-Big Data Technologies - Hadoop, Kafka, ZooKeeper, Hbase, Hive etc
- Fluency / expertise in the following are preferred:
-Languages: Python, Ruby,Ruby on Rails, Groovy and shell scripts
-Middleware Platforms: ESB, API Management, and WebSphere
-Methodologies: Agile - Kanban, Test Driven Development
-Tools: Git, Maven, Continuous Integration, SVN, Ant, Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA and JIRA
-Architectures/Frameworks: Angular JS, Bootstrap, jQuery, jQuery Mobile, Reactive Web Design, Micro- Service Architecture, RESTful Web Services, JUnit, Swagger, OAuth, Single Sign On, SAML, Spring Framework
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science/Engineering required, higher degrees preferred.
- Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of the job
- Willingness to travel as necessary, work the required schedule, work at the specific location required, complete Penske employment application, submit to a background investigation (to include past employment, education, and criminal history) and drug screening are required.
-The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
-The associate will be required to: read; communicate verbally and/or in written form; remember and analyze certain information; and remember and understand certain instructions or guidelines.
-While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be required to stand, walk, and sit. The associate is frequently required to use hands to touch, handle, and feel, and to reach with hands and arms. The associate must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25lbs/12kg.
-Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Penske is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.
Penske Truck Leasing Co., L.P., headquartered in Reading, Pennsylvania, is a partnership of Penske Corporation, Penske Automotive Group, General Electric Capital Corporation and Mitsui & Co., Ltd. A leading global transportation services provider, Penske operates more than 216,000 vehicles and serves customers from more than 1,000 locations in North America, South America, Europe, Australia, and Asia. Product lines include full-service truck leasing, contract maintenance, commercial and consumer truck rentals, used truck sales, transportation and warehousing management and supply chain management solutions. Visit http://www.GoPenske.com to learn more.