Job Description :
Every day, Baxter touches the lives of millions of patients and providers worldwide who rely on our essential hospital and renal products and services. You'll find Baxter's products and therapies on nearly every floor, in almost every hospital worldwide, in clinics and in the home. Baxter's employees are building upon the company's rich heritage of medical breakthroughs to advance the next generation of healthcare innovations that enable patient care. Our commitment to our mission means we are there when patients and healthcare professionals need us, during the critical moments that matter most.
The Senior Buyer is responsible for the administration of procurement activities and supplier management for assigned commodities and products. These activities would include making and executing decisions to ensure uninterrupted quality product/raw material flow or service delivery, negotiating lowest total cost and optimizing supplier relationships and inventory levels. The objective is to optimize supplier relationships while maximizing value and ensuring uninterrupted product flow or service delivery. The incumbent will also maintain communications internally and externally to surface and resolve issues, which can impact operating efficiencies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Purchases assigned products at best total cost, consistent with quality, cost, delivery and other requirements at the plant level
- Maintain and review supplier performance reports to ensure conformance to supplier management goals (cost, quality, service, delivery)
- Plans, implements and leads strategies for supplier management initiatives such as the supplier quality standard, supply assurance programs, commodity pricing/market trending, cost improvement projects, value improvement projects (VIP) and minority sourcing
- Develop strong, ethical relationships with key suppliers to ensure a beneficial relationship
- Works effectively with internal departments (logistics, marketing, plant manufacturing, quality assurance, etc.) to support goals
- Develop understanding of all relevant purchasing/logistic computer systems to manage day-to-day activities such as open POs, inventory, MRP reports, supplier reports, etc.
- Provide consultation to management and other groups regarding supplier/commodity issues, which may impact operations and provide purchasing and supplier management expertise to technical, engineering staffs
- Create cost saving opportunities through competitive bidding, negotiations, etc., while maintaining ethical practices and win-win outcomes for both parties
- Manufacturing only: Work with suppliers and internal supply chain team to develop inventory management strategies consistent with goals and targets. Work closely with supplier quality engineers and process engineers to implement improvement plans and facilitate resolution of supplier issues
- Support qualification of new suppliers and materials/services for product launches and processes/projects to ensure completion of project milestones
- Lead/assist with SCAR investigations related to raw materials/components. Work with suppliers to ensure thorough investigations and root cause analysis
- Able to lead, mentor, and coach subordinates and peers
- Strong financial acumen
- Current technology aptitude
- Working knowledge in word processing software (Microsoft Word, WordPerfect etc.) and data base management software (i.e. Excel, Lotus)
- Ability to travel up to 15% is required
- Frequently interact with external suppliers (globally) and many internal functions
- Works under time constraints that require creative thinking, problem solving skills and ability to work under pressure
- Must be able to assess how decisions impact performance
- Effectively operate within cross-functional teams. Candidate must have good interpersonal skills and be able to work effectively and efficiently in a team environment
- Must be able to provide solutions that reflect understanding business objectives and cost implications. Demonstrated success in delivering results on business continuity challenges.
- Ability to develop and present a course of action with minimal assistance using both written and verbal methods
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and work in a fast-paced environment with accountability for deadlines
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree
- 5+ years purchasing, operations, engineering or supply chain experience required
- APICS or CPM certification desirable
#LI-BB1-P Equal Employment Opportunity
Baxter is an equal opportunity employer. Baxter evaluates qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, disability/handicap status or any other legally protected characteristic.
EEO is the Law
EEO is the law - Poster Supplement
Pay Transparency Policy Reasonable Accommodations
Baxter is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or interview process, please send an email to Corporate_Staffing_Deerfield@baxter.com or call 877-229-4748 (877-BaxHR4U) and let us know the nature of your request along with your contact information.
A little about us:
Our employees are connected by an enduring commitment to save and sustain lives. This higher purpose binds us in doing work that matters.