Responsible for managing revenue and overall profits and losses (P&L) for most complex and/or multiple groups of categories. May manage responsibilities through oversight of associate and category managers. Develops the customer centric strategic plan for each category. Manages ongoing business through insight-led decision making, assortment optimization, category marketing, visual merchandising, and vendor management to optimize ROIC.Job Responsibilities
- Oversees development and determines merchandising, display, advertising, distribution, packaging and sales plans and programs for highly complex items and multiple merchandise departments.
- Negotiates buying contracts and obtains most advantageous pricing. Manages day-to-day vendor relationships and growth opportunities.
- Uses market, competitive, and customer perceptions analyses to set and adjust item price levels.
- Aggressively manages category performance by establishing category goals and building financial models to predict ROIC. Utilizes innovative methods to predict performance of more complex merchandise.
- Demonstrates category ownership by creating and defending all planogram category strategies and decisions with sound analytics. Delegates analytic tasks to key support functions and synthesizes results.
- Provides division leadership with business case for promotions/ROTO spots, including promotional productivity forecast and product performance sensitivity analyses.
- Manages the translation of marketing and consumer insights into innovative assortment merchandising decisions to drive return on most complex categories. Champions the weekly category meetings with merchant support to manage category performance.
- Maintains an understanding of Walgreens and WBA private brands, including assortment and projected sales forecasts, gross profit level, and merchandising and promotional programs. Works with the DMM to project sales forecasts and gross profit levels within the assigned categories.
- Cultivates team moral, motivation, and loyalty through continuous training and mentorship, setting obtainable performance goals, providing clear communication and constructive feedback.
Walgreens, one of the nation's largest drugstore chains, is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc., the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise. More than 10 million customers interact with Walgreens each day in communities across America, using the most convenient, multichannel access to consumer goods and services and trusted, cost-effective pharmacy, health and wellness services and advice. Walgreens operates 8,175 drugstores with a presence in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Walgreens omnichannel business includes Walgreens.com. Approximately 400 Walgreens stores offer Healthcare Clinic or other provider retail clinic services.
As the neighborhood drugstore and retailer, our goal is to make health and happiness simpler, easier and within reach. And we remain a trusted wellness provider offering convenient access to important health services, such as immunizations and an array of pharmacy services that can help patients improve their health. To our team members, Walgreens represents a unique opportunity to excel in their careers in a welcoming and inclusive environment. We offer the chance to work in a truly supportive environment, and be a part of a progressive organization dedicated to the well-being of our customers, team members and the communities we all call home. Basic Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree and at least 4 years of experience in two or more of the following: retail, procurement/purchasing, merchandising, vendor relations, pharmacy operations, or retail marketing OR a High School Diploma/GED and at least 7 years of experience in two or more of the following: retail, procurement/purchasing, merchandising, vendor relations, pharmacy operations, or retail marketing.
- At least 2 years of experience working with P&L concepts revenue, cogs, gross profit margin, operating expenses and income.
- Knowledge of customer centric retailing principles and the analytics of customer purchase behavior.
- At least 4 years of experience developing strategic programs in merchandising, vendor relations, and marketing in the retail business.
- Knowledge of retail business financial concepts, to include penny profit market, mark-up percents, turns and ROI.
- Experience collaborating on analysis for market potential evaluation, pricing, and promotions.
- Knowledge of marketing and promotional strategies and methods.
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft Excel (for example: using SUM function, setting borders, setting column width, inserting charts, using text wrap, sorting, setting headers and footers and/or print scaling).
- Basic skill level in Microsoft PowerPoint (for example: inserting, rearranging, hiding and deleting slides, navigating between slides, increasing list level, adding, centering and editing text, changing views, inserting a table or a note, moving objects, printing outline view and/or running a slide show).
- Basic level skill in Microsoft Word (for example: opening a document, cutting, pasting and aligning text, selecting font type and size, changing margins and column width, sorting, inserting bullets, pictures and dates, using find and replace, undo, spell check, track changes, review pane and/or print functions).
- At least 2 years of experience planning, developing, and managing departmental expense.
- At least 2 years of experience of cross functional team leadership.
- Willing to travel up to 10% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- Experience managing people, projects and/or cross functional teams.
- At least 2 years of experience in negotiating deals.
A little about us:
The training you received, the discipline you embraced, and the responsibilities you held in the military will serve you well at Walgreens.