Senior System Administrator
Define, design, implement and maintain Data Center Operations within a fast-paced, leading edge database/applications company.
Oracle Cloud for Industry (OCI) is a specialized business unit focused solely on providing hosted SaaS and Cloud solutions aimed at adding value to our organizations Global Business Units (The GBUs). The OCI's charter is to provide a SaaS and Cloud-based infrastructure optimized to support our organization's developed SaaS and Cloud-based applications.
This is a Systems Administrator reporting to the IT Manager and will be located in Oracle's Des Moines Iowa offices. The Systems Administrator will be part of a team that is responsible for architecture, design, administration and maintenance of all Windows-based servers, storage and underlying infrastructure for the OCI data center infrastructure. The System Administrator (SA) will perform both basic and advanced Windows administration tasks. The SA should be a self-starter and be very capable of communicating effectively with internal customers and co-workers at both the technical and non-technical levels. The SA will participate in capacity planning, performance measurement, server and storage design. The SA must have an in-depth, hands-on knowledge of a broad set of technologies and platforms, including the latest in virtualization, tiered storage, replication, Windows Active Directory, backup strategies, SAN design / DR Replication, etc. The SA will be expected to lead or participate in one or more projects from planning to execution. Possessing a high level of versatility is critical to the success of this position. Summary of position :
The successful candidate will possess excellent systems management and interpersonal communication skills, have good troubleshooting and analyzing skills, and are responsible and responsive. The candidate must be familiar with Windows Operating Systems (2003/2008/2012), Oracle Enterprise Linux (RHELbase) Operating System, database and Internet technologies, security and hosting facilities. The candidate must feel comfortable in a fast-paced, team-based environment. Responsibilities
• Assist with ensure all Windows and Linux environments are patched to meet Oracle and industry security standards.
• Responsible for the system administration activities within the environment. Monitor all system processes. Install, configure, and maintain file systems. Develop and maintain shell scripts and programs to support and simplify administration tasks for our mission critical processes. Design and secure troubleshooting system utilities and diagnostic equipment.
• Support the deployment of development environments and applications used for building new offerings and applications that will be deployed into a mission critical SaaS (Software as a Service) Hosting environment.
• Provide system administration and support for Windows Active Directory, DNS (Windows and BIND), Internet/Firewall and WWW computer(s) and associated software. Experience with TCP/IP, Telnet, SMTP, FTP, and VPN services. Installation and operation of custom Internet and Intranet computing environments running Windows and Linux
• Work with project managers to plan server resources and set-up timelines for projects. Develop requirements, specification and project development efforts to support projects. Coordinate with vendors to committed services.
• Execute against project plans to implement software and hardware installation and upgrade projects. Assist with resolving performance tuning issues. Provide off-hours support on a rotating schedule.
• Assure internal and vendor compliance to company standard operating procedures. Review quality metrics and procedures. Assess system vulnerability and security capabilities. Participate in disaster recovery and backup procedures development and implementation. Educationand Work Experience
• Demonstrable expertise in server/system management in a production environment.
• Strong communication skills, both verbally and in writing, to appropriate management.
• Experienced with Quality Management methods and philosophies.
• Strong Knowledge of server virtualization, SAN and NAS technologies.
• Experience with TCP/IP, SMTP, sFTP, Active Directory, IIS, ASP, HTML, VBScript, Windows and other Unix based Scripting languages, and DNS services. Ability to write and debug scripts.
• Installation and operation of custom Internet and Intranet computing environments running Windows 2003,2008, and 2012.
• Installation and operation of Oracle Enterprise Linux and/or Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
• Must be self-managed and self-motivated. Requirements
- First rate customer service skills are a MUST.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or 5-8 years experience in a Systems Engineer position. Certifications are a plus
- Weekend and after hours support
- Strong Knowledge of UNIX and/or Linux.
- Strong Knowledge of Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure.
- Travel expectation below 20%.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational and planning skills.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced team environment.
Define, design, and implement network communications and solutions within a fast-paced, leading edge database/applications company.
Responsible for creating and implementing system enhancements that will improve the performance and reliablility of the system. Manage the load configurations of a central data communication processor and make recommendations for purchase or upgrade of data networks. Coordinate terminal orders and cable installation, network system planning, upgrading, monitoring, testing, and servicing. Approves action requests and specifies purchase requisitions. Negotiates and places orders with common carriers. May play a team leader role for developing System Administrators.
Leading contributor individually and as a team member, providing direction and mentoring to others. Work is non-routine and very complex, involving the application of advanced technical/business skills in area of specialization. Eight years of related experience in a medium to large network distributed and computing environment. BS in Computer Science or related field.
Oracle is shifting the complexity from IT, moving it out of the enterprise by engineering hardware and software to work together—in the cloud.