The Senior Complex Risk Officer is responsible for a wide variety of supervisory, compliance, and risk functions related to the Complex. In conjunction with the Complex Manager and other Complex Risk Officers within the Complex, the Senior Complex Risk Officer has accountability in the Complex for maintaining a consistent control environment through adherence of business ethics and practices and adherence to all applicable Federal, State and Local laws, Morgan Stanley Wealth Management policies, and other regulations. The Senior Complex Risk Officer keeps the Complex Manager informed of significant matters within the complex and must determine when the Complex Manager, other Branch Managers within the Complex and/or Regional Risk Officer should be directly involved. The Senior Complex Risk Officer role is a non-revenue sharing position that has dual straight line reporting to the Complex manager and Regional Risk Officer.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
Surveillance and Supervision
• Primary responsibility for all risk, supervisory, and compliance functions for the Complex
• Communicates and facilitates any supervisory inquiry or process that requires escalation from the Complex to the Regional Risk Officer
• Focuses on business ethics and regulatory and compliance practices
• Provides the coaching and guidance on policies and procedures in order to promote risk awareness and a compliant environment within the Complex
• Ensures proper procedures are in place to ensure that approvals are handled appropriately and timely
• Manages the Complex Risk Officers within the Complex to ensure consistent regulatory and compliance practices
• Ensures procedures are in place for self-audits.
• Monitors and implements procedures to manage all facets of risk, including data security, across the Complex
• Facilitates regular and consistent communication of Morgan Stanley Wealth Management policies and other regulations
• Liaises with the Legal and Compliance Division with customer complaints and litigation
• Together with the Complex Manager and Complex Risk Officers, ensures appropriate supervisory coverage is maintained at all times across the Complex as required by Firm policy.
• Oversees all responsibilities outlined in the Branch Supervisory Manual, as well as new policies to ensure the complex has procedures in place.
• Is responsible for the preparation for and response to audits, and ensures that any audit findings are appropriately responded to and remediated
• Works with Complex Manager and Complex Risk Officers to monitor people risk, and ensures appropriate action is taken
• Responsible for proactive client contact within the Complex in determining suitability and managing risk
• Active involvement with the region regarding matters presented to the Credit Committee
• Primary source for intelligence on risk in regard to clients and FAs
• Active involvement with margin and credit decisions
• Works closely with Special Investigation Unit on any Human Resources issues as related to risk and compliance
• Together with the Complex Risk Officers in the Complex, facilitates the training of all personnel on Morgan Stanley Wealth Management compliance policies and procedures
• Assists in the review and on boarding of FA recruits
Education and/or Experience
• Bachelor's degree required or equivalent education or experience
• Previous industry experience
• Active Series 3, 7, 8 (or 9 and 10), and 63, 65 (or 66)
• Other licenses as required for role or by management
• Knowledge of SEC, FINRA and Firm Compliance Policies and Procedures
• Effective written and verbal communication skills
• Strong attention to detail
• Ability to prioritize and resolve complex problems and escalate as necessary
• Ability to identify issues and trends in order to anticipate change and provide recommended comprehensive solutions and remedies
• Evidence of strong leadership capabilities or previous supervisory experience
• Ability to organize and prioritize workflow and assignments in a deadline oriented environment
• Ability to interact with Financial Advisors and clients
• Excellent judgment and the ability to be discreet in all matters
• Strong work ethic
• Dual reporting: Complex Manager and Regional Risk Officer
• Complex Risk Officers
EOE committed to diversifying its workforce.
A little about us:
Since its founding in 1935, Morgan Stanley and its people have helped redefine the meaning of financial services.