Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you'll find yourself in the company of some of the industry's smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
Senior Financial Controls Monitoring Analyst
The Controls Monitoring Office (CMO) is seeking an experienced professional to play a critical role ensuring a stable controls environment through monitoring and reporting of compliance with policies designed to govern the complete, accurate and timely recording and reporting of Discover's financial information. This role plays a crucial part in assessing the effectiveness of controls surrounding the proper completion of manual journal entries (MJEs) and reconciliations through the CMO monthly testing process. A successful candidate should be able to work independently with preparers and reviewers to understand the work completed and conclude on the appropriateness of the end product against policies, as well as provide well thought out feedback aimed at strengthening the controls environment within the Controller's organization. When needed, this role will also consult with reviewers in an effort to strengthen controls surrounding appropriate support to substantiate reconciliations and MJEs in their areas to improve documentation in the future. Specific Responsibilities will include:
- Testing compliance with reconciliation and MJE policies, assessing the implications of non-compliance, and working with internal cross-functional teams in multiple locations.
- Providing controls consultation to internal customers on enhancements to existing processes, as well as training others on certain elements of a strong controls environment.
- Reporting results of this monitoring to the Finance Leadership team on a monthly basis.
- Promoting a risk-aware culture, and ensuring efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
Skills Educational Requirements
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance Skills Required:
- Minimum of 5 years of professional work experience in Public Accounting, Internal Audit, Internal Controls or comparable Accounting experience requiring knowledge of financial accounting controls
- Ability to evaluate facts and circumstances to derive conclusions and influence decision making through effective communication
- Ability to engage and leverage relationships to achieve end-to-end results
- Self-motivated with the ability to drive results independently
- Strong time management skills, with ability to manage tasks in order to achieve deadlines
- Ability to collaborate with all levels of staff and experience working independently, as well as in a team environment
- Demonstrate critical thinking and perspective in problem resolution
- Ability to influence at multiple levels within the Controller's organization and promote understanding of strong internal controls
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build strong relationships across Accounting
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications, including strong knowledge of Excel Pivot tables and VLookup functionality
Professional designations, such as CPA and/or CIA are considered a plus
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
A little about us:
Discover is one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. We’re a direct banking and payment services company built on a legacy of innovation and customer service.