Additional Location(s) or Information: None
Job Category: Legal
Level of Experience: Experienced - Non Manager
Requisition #: R1019422
"What You'll Do
You will be responsible for handling a wide variety of matters across geographies and will work closely with business functions across the company.
We are looking for a smart, highly strategic and business savvy candidate that can find innovative and practical solutions to resolve issues. The ideal candidate is highly collaborative and proactive, and has excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to synthesize complex legal issues, assess legal risks and provide clear counseling and advice to business teams and executives.
You will be part of a fast-moving, highly impactful, collaborative legal team, and you will play a leadership role in all aspects of our commercial disputes. You will lead strategic and day-to-day management of matters from initial demand through litigation, trial and appeal. You will work on a wide variety of issues ranging from contract and business torts, to IP and licensing disputes, to regulatory issues.
"Who You'll Work With
Cisco's in-house litigation department includes our commercial litigators, IP litigators, HR attorneys and specialists, paralegals, Brand Protection team, and e-Discovery/IT Lab. Our Commercial Litigation group is responsible for the company's commercial litigation matters and works closely with Cisco's various investigation teams on internal investigations. The position will report to our Senior Director of Litigation & Brand Protection. "
"Who You Are
You will have experience with the following:
• Retain and oversee outside counsel world-wide; establish and manage litigation budgets that align Cisco's interest with the interest of outside counsel and maximize likelihood of successful outcomes.
• Manage pre-litigation demands and disputes in courts, alternative dispute forums, and other tribunals
• Counsel Cisco's business to mitigate legal risk in a wide scope of actual or threatened disputes, including contract and tort claims typical of a multi-national company with numerous lines of business and 70,000+ employees.
• Oversee internal investigations involving allegations of misconduct, fraud, violations of national and international laws, including the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
• Liaise with law enforcement agencies to respond to subpoenas or requests for information; make criminal referrals.
• Work with Cisco's Risk Management Department on insurance coverage and retention issues; negotiate with carriers on coverage for claims
Our minimum qualifications for this role:
• Juris Doctorate (JD) with a strong academic record
• 5-8+ years experience managing significant commercial litigation matters at a law firm or in-house legal department.
• Outstanding client management, writing, advocacy and organizational skills
• Experience managing internal investigations and communicating with government agencies like the SEC or DoJ.
• Ability to autonomously oversee docket of cases and provide practical advice and counseling.
• Ability to work independently, and exhibit the poise, presence, judgment and decision-making skills to advise senior level management on matters involving legal and reputational risk.
• Understanding of and experience with Electronic Discovery is critical.
• Location is Cisco's main campus in San Jose; occasional travel expected.
We are also looking for :
• International litigation or arbitration experience is a plus.
• Basic knowledge of US Bankruptcy law and practice a plus.
• Experience litigating cases involving sensitive PR issues
• Experience with Securities and Derivative lawsuits
We connect everything: people, processes, data, and things. We innovate everywhere, taking bold risks to shape the technologies that give us smart cities, connected cars, and handheld hospitals. And we do it in style with unique personalities who aren't afraid to change the way the world works, lives, plays and learns.
We are thought leaders, tech geeks, pop culture aficionados, and we even have a few purple haired rock stars. We celebrate the creativity and diversity that fuels our innovation. We are dreamers and we are doers.
We Are Cisco. "
Job Type: Experienced
Opportunity Category: Internet of Everything
A little about us:
We are one, big, techie, employee tribe that changes the world while having fun.