At MetLife, we're leading the global transformation of an industry we've long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we're dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.
In January 2016, MetLife announced a plan to pursue the separation of a substantial portion of its U.S. Retail segment. Once separated, the new business will be called Brighthouse Financial.
Brighthouse Financial will serve customers the way they want, need and deserve. It will focus on eliminating the complexity, confusion and cost that can get in the way of many Americans who are seeking financial security. We will bring products to the market that add value to our customers' lives, and will be guided by a common set of values that focus on the customer and drive accountability.
Brighthouse Financial is seeking high-performing team members who are passionate about the company's mission. We are laser-focused on adding value to our customers and minimizing complexity in every decision and action. We are building high performing teams who set the bar high and hold each other accountable.Job Location
United States : New York : New YorkAlternate Job Location
Not Applicable : Not ApplicableSummary of Responsibilities
The Securities/General Corporate Counsel role is a new position being created in preparation for the planned separation. The Securities/General Corporate Counsel will generally provide legal advice and counsel to Brighthouse's financial and communications professionals and other clients on securities, capital markets, and other public company matters for purposes of financial transactions and disclosure, and other responsibilities as assigned.Principal Responsibilities
Supervisory Responsibilities Travel Required Qualifications
- Provide advice and counsel on legal aspects of Securities and Exchange Commission filings (under the '33 and '34 Acts), financial and other communications (including earnings releases and investor presentations), treasury and capital-raising transactions and corporate governance matters.
- Draft, and provide comments on drafts of, securities disclosures (including 10-Ks, 10-Qs, 8-Ks, registration statements, and proxy statement filings), financing and other agreements, investor presentations, other communications, and related material.
- Draft, and provide comments on drafts of, written client advice, as well as communicate advice orally.
- Represent Brighthouse in dealings with counsel representing underwriters, banks, regulators, and others.
- Provide support for M&A activity and similar projects, when required.
- Work with, guide, and manage outside counsel for Brighthouse on matters, to the extent they are engaged on those matters.
- Perform other duties appropriate to the role, or as required or necessary.
- J.D. degree.
- Licensed to practice in New York.
- 5+ years legal experience in securities and public company matters, including `33 Act, `34 Act, SEC rules, listed company standards, and related considerations.
- Excellent academic credentials.
- Strong understanding of public company, securities law and corporate governance.
- Strong legal research, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Anticipates legal issues and works proactively to address them; follows up and sees matters through to completion.
- Robust written and oral communication skills.
- Exhibits strong business acumen.
- Exhibits influence and leadership skills, especially in the context of the ability to relate to different stakeholders, business partners and colleagues.
- Interacts well with colleagues, clients, and senior management.
- Strong decision making skills.
- Dedication to excellence and working in a spirit of partnership and collegiality.
- Self-starter with entrepreneurial mindset.
- Able to work independently; exercises good judgment in determining when to consult management, colleagues, and clients.
- Must be able to handle complex assignments from start to finish with minimal supervision.
- Handles substantial and varied workload and time sensitive situations effectively, balancing competing demands and assessing business priorities.
- Flexible and willing to learn new skills.
- Enjoys challenging assignments.
- Willingness to receive coaching and mentoring.
- Willingness and ability to improve operations and implement effective policies and procedures.
- In order to post for this position, you need the proper work authorization to work in the country where the position is located and not require relocation assistance.
Required Education Business Category
- In-house experience not required, but a plus.
- Familiarity with or experience in executive compensation issues not required, but a plus.
- Familiarity with or experience in `40 Act issues not required, but a plus.
- Insurance company client experience not required, but a plus.
Public Company UnitJob Category
Legal AffairsNumber of Openings
A little about us:
MetLife offers life insurance, disability income insurance, car insurance, employee benefits and more.