Job Location: United States : New York : New York
A candidate has been identified for this role.
Brighthouse Financial is a new company established by MetLife. We’re on a mission to help people achieve financial security. Built on a foundation of industry knowledge and experience, we specialize in offering essential annuity and life insurance products designed to help customers protect what they’ve earned and ensure it lasts more predictably. In an industry that often has a reputation for complexity, confusion, and cost, Brighthouse Financial is different. Our approach includes simplicity, transparency, and more value so customers can face the future with confidence.
Brighthouse Financial is seeking passionate, high-performing team members to help us carry out our mission and be part of an exciting journey toward improving the financial futures of our millions of customers. Sound like you? Read on.
The Securities/ Senior General Corporate Counsel role is a new position being created in preparation for the planned separation. The Securities/General Senior Corporate Counsel will generally provide legal advice and counsel to Brighthouse’s financial and communications professionals and other clients on securities, capital markets, and other public company matters for purposes of financial transactions and disclosure, and other responsibilities as assigned.
- Provide advice and counsel on legal aspects of Securities and Exchange Commission filings (under the ’33 and ’34 Acts), financial and other communications (including earnings releases and investor presentations), treasury and capital-raising transactions and corporate governance matters.
- Draft, and provide comments on drafts of, securities disclosures (including 10-Ks, 10-Qs, 8-Ks, registration statements, and proxy statement filings), financing and other agreements, investor presentations, other communications, and related material, and supervise junior attorneys in connection therewith.
- Draft, and provide comments on drafts of, written client advice, as well as communicate advice orally.
- Represent Brighthouse in dealings with counsel representing underwriters, banks, regulators, and others.
- Provide support for M&A activity and similar projects, when required.
- Work with, guide, and manage outside counsel for Brighthouse on matters, to the extent they are engaged on those matters.
- Perform other duties appropriate to the role, or as required or necessary.
- J.D. degree.
- Licensed to practice in New York.
- 10+ years legal experience in securities and public company matters, including `33 Act, `34 Act, SEC rules, listed company standards, and related considerations.
- Excellent academic credentials.
- Strong understanding of public company, securities law and corporate governance.
- Strong legal research, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Anticipates legal issues and works proactively to address them; follows up and sees matters through to completion.
- Robust written and oral communication skills.
- Exhibits strong business acumen.
- Exhibits influence and leadership skills, especially in the context of the ability to relate to different stakeholders, business partners and colleagues.
- Interacts well with colleagues, clients, and senior management.
- Strong decision making skills.
- Dedication to excellence and working in a spirit of partnership and collegiality.
- Self-starter with entrepreneurial mindset.
- Able to work independently; exercises good judgment in determining when to consult management, colleagues, and clients.
- Must be able to handle complex assignments from start to finish with minimal supervision.
- Handles substantial and varied workload and time sensitive situations effectively, balancing competing demands and assessing business priorities.
- Flexible and willing to learn new skills.
- Enjoys challenging assignments.
- Willingness to receive coaching and mentoring.
- Willingness and ability to improve operations and implement effective policies and procedures.
- In-house experience not required, but a plus.
- Familiarity with or experience in executive compensation issues not required, but a plus.
- Familiarity with or experience in `40 Act issues not required, but a plus.
- Insurance company client experience not required, but a plus.
Brighthouse Financial is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is Brighthouse Financial's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For immediate consideration, click the Apply Now button. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job.
Brighthouse Financial is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation in order to complete an employment application, please contact our Employee Relations Department at 1-866-635-9230 or email email@example.com. All other unrelated inquires will not be acknowledged.
MetLife offers life insurance, disability income insurance, car insurance, employee benefits and more.